Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 09:34 PM

Default standard cap for value / free card?

Villain is around 17/13

PokerStars $5/$10 Limit Hold'em - 6 players
Hand Converter Tool from DeucesCracked.com

Preflop: Hero is CO with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG folds, MP folds, <font color="#FF0000">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, SB folds, <font color="#FF0000">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, Button calls.

Flop: (9.40 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#FF0000">BB bets</font>, <font color="#FF0000">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, <font color="#FF0000">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#FF0000">Hero caps!</font>

If I don't improve I am probably folding to a river bet
Old 10-17-2007, 09:39 PM

Default Re: standard cap for value / free card?

Since you're in position, you could call down when 3 bet. This way you reserve the right to raise a big street when you hit your draw - better implied odds. You also see a showdown, which in the 30,000 foot view seems a lot better than building a big pot and then folding top pair.

Honestly, this probably all depends upon how your range reacts as a whole after open raising in the cutoff, calling a 3bet, raising this flop, and then getting 3bet. I'm not smart enough to figure that out.

Good luck!
Old 10-17-2007, 09:41 PM

If hes that tight...he isnt giving you a free card often enough to make this worth while as he has an overpair a lot here...you probably have around 14 outs which is a slight dog...with it heads up I think I just call the 3bet.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:04 AM

Yeah but with 14 outs vs an overpair its reallly close to 50/50 so he doesnt need to get the free card very often.

Besides. Pissing of nits is funny.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:19 AM

It looks good to me.

Edit/disclaimer: If Villain would play AKo this way (and then would bet the river after you take your free card), then it sucks (as would taking any line that involved folding).
Old 10-18-2007, 09:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah but with 14 outs vs an overpair its reallly close to 50/50 so he doesnt need to get the free card very often.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont disagree...just feel like the cap may be a bit of a spew albeit maybe just a small one.

It probably is a lot closer than even I am thinking though.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:06 PM

Guys, what everyone seems to forget in these spots, is that by doing this you probably wont be able to raise a later street when you hit your draw. Also, I wouldnt mind button peeling here. I just play it passively.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:14 PM

I like the first raise but not the cap. imo the cap is not for value, you are not often getting a free card when behind, and you will have the initiative when ahead.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

plus the more often you raise in spots like this, the more often JJ-KK donks into your AA or into your 88.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:33 PM

I'm not sure it matters. When we cap the flop, are we checking behind on the river unimproved? What happens when KK check-raises a blank turn? We lose a fair amount in that scenario. Capping the flop does prevent that from happening though, since we are repping a set (AA would be a stupid hand for us to have considering our preflop play). But since a set usually waits for the turn to raise, BB might be smart to c/r.

But I don't think it matters much if we plan on checking the river unimproved, because certainly we cannot expect to be winning on the river often enough to bet.

In this spot I just call the 3 bet and hope to improve or see an overplayed AK/AQ/KQs/77/99 etc.