Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2007, 11:11 AM

Default 5 card draw question about taking only two

Say you get dealt QQK45. Limit, heads up. Do you hold QQ or QQK and what is your logic for doing so?
Old 09-01-2007, 11:27 PM

Default Re: 5 card draw question about taking only two

it depends on opponent, situation etc. tho i take 3 95% of the time. my logic is because it feels right. i don't know whether the maths is right.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:40 AM

I'd take 3 almost all of the time. I don't play HU much. It wouldn't be for deception. It's just so unlikely that the kicker will end up mattering.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:54 AM

Was the Hand dealt Heads Up or did it end up Heads Up on the Draw ina Full Ring Game?

If it's a heads up match, there really is no point in keeping the King. You're involved in many more hands in HU than you are full ring, so the chances that either player is dealt a Set to play with is rather slim. Draw 3 or draw 2, the other player will have you on a pair in both cases. Drawing 2 might look like a lower pair though, although generally keeping a kicker to your pair is only useful if you are aiming to beat two pair with a higher pair than yours and beating that hand precisely. You might sometimes keep the kicker for deception, especially for when you really are dealt a set. Out of Position I would generally draw 3 here, drawing 2 won't really make the other player behave differently, but you lower your chances of hitting a good hand.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Out of Position I would generally draw 3 here, drawing 2 won't really make the other player behave differently, but you lower your chances of hitting a good hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

You lower your chances of hitting a set, you increase your chances of improving to 2 pair slightly.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Out of Position I would generally draw 3 here, drawing 2 won't really make the other player behave differently, but you lower your chances of hitting a good hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

You lower your chances of hitting a set, you increase your chances of improving to 2 pair slightly.

[/ QUOTE ]
Please elaborate.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:02 AM

...meaning your chance of ending up with precisely 2pr will be higher, however this comes from the lessened probabilty of trips; overall you improve less, ldo.

OP, whether u always d(2), always d(3), or some of both, won't make hardly a lick of difference in your winrate. d(3) gives u a slightly better average showdown hand, d(2) makes it slightly more likely your opponent will misplay his hand. not a whole lot between them, remember you are still gonna miss most of the time no matter how many you draw. what IS important is to align your drawing on these type of hands with how you play your XX/A, AA/X, trips, or whatever, and with how your opponent reacts. I personaaly d(3) the vast majority of times, but versus certain opponents, or if the action has gone a certain way, i'll see d(2) as the +EV thing to do. I could never explain in words when and why, its an expierience/feel thing i guess. But im certain anyone advising you to "always d(3)" is being overly simplistic.

something that will have a much greater effect on yr winrate is how you adapt to an opponent who routinely d(2). it can be tricky as [censored] if you don't observe/notetake well.

You'll find most "good" players prefer to d(3) because: i) they aren't in there with shorts very much in the first place, so needn't d(2) on their good pairs as a foil for other times they have bad pairs, ii) good players tend to play versus at least decent opponents, ones who you can give credit for putting you on a range even before u draw, so you arent fooling/confusing them near as much as you would versus a fish, and iii) you'll get WAY more action when you draw into monsters if your opponent saw you d(3).
Old 09-03-2007, 09:34 AM

You always draw three to QQK; the only exception might be
that you somehow knew your opponent had a pair of queens as
well (but how could you know that?). The only time to keep
a king kicker is if you have AAKxy and knew your lone
opponent could only have either AA or KK. Another spot
is when you open raise and are against the two blinds that
both draw three and you know the SB has AA and you have AAK
(doesn't matter what pair the BB has).
Old 09-03-2007, 01:43 PM

I'm starting to think there aren't enough poor opinions on this forum to confuse new comers and that we're actually giving away free advice. I guess that's cool.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You always draw three to QQK; the only exception might be
that you somehow knew your opponent had a pair of queens as
well (but how could you know that?). The only time to keep
a king kicker is if you have AAKxy and knew your lone
opponent could only have either AA or KK. Another spot
is when you open raise and are against the two blinds that
both draw three and you know the SB has AA and you have AAK
(doesn't matter what pair the BB has).

[/ QUOTE ]

If we have QQA I'd assume it might be better to keep the ace than keep a king?

I wasn't doing the play for deception really.

I think the thing which I don't understand is why does drawing one extra card to the queen matter so much? We are playing limit and half the time we hit our hand we only win like zero or one more bets.