Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2006, 12:55 AM

Default Re: report: Cubs sign Soriano. 8yr 136m.

[ QUOTE ]

SI reports the red sox will/should sign drew this week.

SI

[/ QUOTE ]

The impending signing of Drew likely signals the end of Trot Nixon's career in Boston...

Despite Trot's problems the last three years, it's still dissapointing to see him go. If there's one thing I'd like to see the Red Sox do better, it's to find a way to keep home grown players for their careers. That's something the Yankees do well (Rivera, Posada, Jeter, Williams?).
Old 11-26-2006, 01:42 AM

*if* the red sox sign drew and dmats (a parlay which appears high) they will have signed the best everyday player and the best pitcher available this offseason. of course the FOM (fellowship of the miserable) will still compain about something.
Old 11-26-2006, 03:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Despite Trot's problems the last three years, it's still dissapointing to see him go. If there's one thing I'd like to see the Red Sox do better, it's to find a way to keep home grown players for their careers. That's something the Yankees do well (Rivera, Posada, Jeter, Williams?).

[/ QUOTE ]

You named four hall of fame or hall of merit players there, and trot isn't one of them. Theo traded a bunch of young potential all stars last year so there isn't really any home grown talent there anymore. The last guy the sox should have kept was probably Clemens.
Old 11-26-2006, 04:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You named four hall of fame or hall of merit players there, and trot isn't one of them. Theo traded a bunch of young potential all stars last year so there isn't really any home grown talent there anymore. The last guy the sox should have kept was probably Clemens.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah right. Clemens was in "the twilight of his career" when they got rid of him, remember?
Old 11-26-2006, 05:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A player doesn't need to be HOF worthy to be retained. Tim Wakefield is one guy the Red Sox have manged to keep for most of his career (1995-present).

Nomar Garciaparra is a player I would have liked to have seen management find a way to keep (there's no need to get into a discussion of the problems back in 2003/4). Mo Vaughn too.

Wade Boggs is a player who probably shouldn't have been lost. Ellis Burks left after just six years but his departure was a big deal since he played for a couple division winners

Even though they weren't home grown talent, Pedro Martinez, Derek Lowe, and even Johnny Damon are players that could have been kept at a premium since they were part of the 2004 team.

I don't expect or want the Red Sox to keep all the players above. But, they don't seem to keep any of them. Manny Ramirez is possbily going to get dealt. In a few years, Ortiz could be gone too.

Oh, and I still don't like that Carlton Fisk and Fred Lynn got away.
Old 11-26-2006, 05:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Mo Vaughn too.

[/ QUOTE ]

he signed one of the worst contracts in MLB history and the sox should have tried to keep him?

[ QUOTE ]
In a few years, Ortiz could be gone too.

[/ QUOTE ]

he will be like 34, who cares?

do you want a team that wins, or one that has 9 2006 jeff bagwells?
Old 11-26-2006, 05:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't expect or want the Red Sox to keep all the players above. But, they don't seem to keep any of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

They don't keep them because they are typically poor investments. What's the problem with this?
Old 12-09-2006, 02:30 PM

Cubs sign Marquis