Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2007, 09:45 PM

Default Re: Why I don\'t tell people I play poker.

Bad beat stories stink..no one wants to hear them. Every poker player has them. Keep them to yourself.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:50 PM

my dad thinks it is awesome and brags to his friends about it, but however bad it is to tell people what your job is, being in highschool and telling people you play online poker is worse. people auto-equate highschool+gambling=degen. that and the fact that it seems when i do accidently bring it up with people who aren't close friends there happens to be one person whose friend/cousin/uncle went busto and tells me how banning online poker is a good thing.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:52 PM

I told 4 kids in my Spanish class last year and now all people ask me is poker related questions. How much did you make yesterday? etc. =\
Old 08-20-2007, 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I told 4 kids in my Spanish class last year and now all people ask me is poker related questions. How much did you make yesterday? etc. =\

[/ QUOTE ]
[censored] I love bragging. I'd love it if all people did to me was ask me how much I made. Then I act all humble and say "I had a good/bad week", then when they keep nagging I tell them and get jealous shakes of the head and jaw drops.

Oh yeah, and for the thread, I generally get non-retarded responses when I tell people I play poker, but I told my bass guitar teacher and he asked two of the infamous questions: "If I give you x, could you turn it into y?" and "So how do win, counting cards"? But he was genuinely interested and intrigued, he didn't look down upon it at all. He also seemed to understand the responses I gave to those questions.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i hate these " i hate tellin people i play poker professionally" threads. BS you LOVE telling people you play poker professionally. Its a very cool thing to be able to tell people. Theres something about being great at a card game that just makes you feel so bada**, and u know it.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes its cool if people understand.

its not cool if you get asked the same questions again and again and people forewarn you about a field they have little/no experience in.

If you think it's cool, then you obv are exposed to a very small range of people, because a lot of people over 21 look down on poker.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:09 PM

i dont even like telling other poker players i play poker.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:30 PM

i just have one question, what if I give you guys some of my money for you to double it, can you do that?"
Old 08-21-2007, 12:34 AM

I get they "hey ya know theres this tourney we play on thurdays, you should come out". "whats the buy in" "20 bucks" "o"
Old 08-21-2007, 12:42 AM

My old friends from highschool keep bugging me to play in their $0.25/$0.50 home game.

How do I answer with a thinly veiled brag without being an ass?
Old 08-21-2007, 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i dont even like telling other poker players i play poker.

[/ QUOTE ]
FWIW if I could tell people with no knowledge of poker or people who regularly play micro-limits, playmoney, small stakes live games, etc. It would be the former and it wouldn't be close. To that person I can say vague things not use real dollar amounts, shift the conversation to trips, etc. To the latter they ask stupid questions like "I got in AK vs. T9 on a ATx board and lost therefore online poker is rigged. Agree or disagree?"
Who is your favorite poker player, mine is Chris Ferguson, etc.