Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2006, 07:05 PM

Default 2 questions i need help with

I am pretty new to 2 + 2 and want to improve my brick and mortar game at the $10/$20 level.

I understand that there is no right or wrong way to play certain situations as it depends on many factors at the table, including opponents styles, etc.

I have two general questions that I like your thoughts on as it pertains the B&M play at the $10/$20 level of limit holdem.

1.) I have Ace with high kicker (king or queen) - which I raise preflop with 3 or 4 callers.. flop comes ace - rag - rag rainbow.

I lead on the flop and get called by only one person. I lead again at the pot on the turn and get checked raise. what is my play here... do I generally just call the check raise on the turn... then check and call on the river to what most likely could be my opponent hitting two pair with his ace-rag... thoughts on this... is a check raise on the turn with an ace on the board generally a sign that my ace-king is dead ?

2.) I have trouble playing second pair on the flop.. lets say there are now only two or three players seeing the flop... I hit second pair on a flop that only has high card.. lets say I limp with ace, 8 suited. flop comes king. 8, 2 .... one of the other two players bets on the flop, i then raise.... and get called... should I assume here that my opponent not re-raising me means he does not have a king... or should even a call to my raise make me leary that he is calling me with a king and possible weaker kicker.

now the turn brings another rag... should I if my opponents checks... should I bet or fear a check raise here... or do i check on the turn and give a free card since I only have 2nd pair (I know weak).. then call what will most likely be a bet on the river by my opponent if he indeeds has a king.

thoughts on both these "general" types of hands that seem to give me some trouble (no wise cracks please)
Old 02-20-2006, 04:15 PM

Default Re: 2 questions i need help with

1 and 2 both depend on the players.

1. Is this player capable of semi-bluff raising you? Might they have AQ and think they are ahead? Depends on your opponent.

2. Some people will call your raise and check and call after with a king every time. Some people will 3-bet with a draw. It depends on your opponent.

p.s. you can't lead the turn and get check/raised.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:07 PM

might I suggest Sklanskey's HPFAP and TOP, That would be a good start to answer your questions, there is no right or wrong per say it is all situational.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:31 PM

you need to try and size up your oppoenent and gauge how often he will have the different hands that he is representing versus the hands you can beat. then look at the pot size and guess whether its worth calling his bets.
same with when you are deciding if its worth it to continue betting into a scary board.
the key is to make what you believe is the correct play and not let the money or fear of losing change your betting. good luck.