Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who here has actually had AA beat all-in preflop?
Once 6 5.71%
I fucked your sister 43 40.95%
And your mom, too 56 53.33%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 07:29 AM

Default Re: September\'s Bells and Schools Thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Oscar Wilde said that "a gentlemen is someone who never insults someone unintentionally." It is, I think, a thought to live by.

[/ QUOTE ]

If that's the case, why are we forbidding people from using "retarded" as a deliberate insult? Generally, I'm speaking amongst the casual ribbing that goes on between friends, but they're still deliberate insults nonetheless.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oscar Wilde had a great way with words.

I think PC is something to consider outside humor. But then you get into those who either think they are funny but aren't or confuse humor with making fun of someone else. the old " I was jut kidding' excuse after an insult.
Close friends and family often fit a special category....but watch your mouth around grandma....
Grandma insults like Oscar Wilde, with eloquence.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:39 AM

The whole reason I asked the question in the first place is that I called someone retarded today. Well to be precise, I didn't call HER retarded, I called her excuses retarded. It did not go over well.

[/ QUOTE ]

She was not actually being PC, she was running her crap on you. PC was her weapon of choice. Notice how she was not defending her excuses, but attacking you instead. I suspect her excuses were weak so she had to mis-direct the conversation. You gave her the opening by choosing your words without a bit of care.

Subject to follow: Word parsing for fun and profit.
Working title: Angle Shooting for Wordsmiths.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Katy,

Next time just scowl like a Klingon with a urinary infection and say, 'How about you stop trying to change the subject and give me the money you owe me.'

And don't let her deviate from this. Just keep repeating that and say it louder each time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. You totally fell for her misdirection. Instead of pressing the issue, you spent all day wondering if your word choice was "wrong". Perfect example of PC as a weapon.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you had a sister with a bum leg would you still use the word 'lame'?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably not.

[/ QUOTE ]

See I probably would. I no longer know what's appropriate and what isn't. Do you think it's possible I spend too much time on a message board? I don't see anything wrong with the words "lame" "retarded" "crazy" or "insane". They have permeated my vocabulary and daily life. I thought they were accepted. I seriously think I need sensitivity training. it's like i've become very lax and crude since discovering the internet.

The whole reason I asked the question in the first place is that I called someone retarded today. Well to be precise, I didn't call HER retarded, I called her excuses retarded. It did not go over well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's worth sweating over, katy, but there are always people who will love to make the next guy sweat. You just have to decide how much the opinion and company of those people means to you Frankly, I think a guy who goes around busting my balls is not my friend anyway, so I'm not too concerned about losing that person's company, and indeed will make an effort to do so.

Watch out what you say at work, too. That's the home of vengeful, calculated, hypocritical political correctness, including the kind that gets written down in personnel files.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Blarg,

You are completely wrongheaded throughout this thread, but I'm having the best time reading your posts.

[/ QUOTE ]

People of goodwill can differ. It's nice that people who differ can have a reasonable, adult discussion about their differences, too. Civilization rocks.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

She was not actually being PC, she was running her crap on you. PC was her weapon of choice. Notice how she was not defending her excuses, but attacking you instead. I suspect her excuses were weak so she had to mis-direct the conversation. You gave her the opening by choosing your words without a bit of care.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed you are right and I am living to regret my choice of words. See I thought that I had practiced extreme restraint by not dropping the f-bomb, or calling her a pathetic loser and a ginormous malicious conwoman. My exasperated delivery of "that's retarded, Cara," seemed like I was being rather restrained, well in my mind anyway. I was rather taken aback when she acted deeply offended. I was curious whether other people had experienced being scolded for using that word as it seems so commonplace on the internet [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img].

I guess you and entertainme are trying to tell me that I'm obsessing too long on a word now, after the fact, when if I had used more care in choosing my words at the time I would not be in this position. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-04-2007, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Katy,

Next time just scowl like a Klingon with a urinary infection and say, 'How about you stop trying to change the subject and give me the money you owe me.'

And don't let her deviate from this. Just keep repeating that and say it louder each time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I will try to follow this advice next time. By the way, "scowl like a Klingon" is a great description. I have a pretty good scowl.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:39 PM

I think DB is channeling Michael Caine on this one.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think DB is channeling Michael Dorn on this one.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-04-2007, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see anything wrong with the words "lame" "retarded" "crazy" or "insane".

[/ QUOTE ]

Being 3 of those 4 words, I hereby give you permission to use them. I use them sparsely, but sometimes no other word will do.

brag/
Speaking of crazy, I just bought a new car. 2007 chevy monte carlo.

I bought my last car in 1995, so this is a huge jump up. I would like to thank all the pokerstars players who donated, as well as D. Sklansky for his hot tip on IMMR. They have made this dream possible.
/brag
Closed Thread