Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2007, 11:16 AM

Default POOL

kind of a two-part question.

1) anyone know the 'standard' rules for 8ball (when does 3 rails not count as a scratch etc).

2) what are the best (easiest?) 'house' rules w/o making it too serious (often lots of drinking involved obv).
Old 03-23-2007, 11:28 AM

Default Re: POOL

durrr,

1)
http://www.bca-pool.com/play/tournam.../rls_gen.shtml
http://www.bca-pool.com/play/tournam.../rls_8bl.shtml

2) When playing for fun, the two easiest modifications are to ease off on scratch rules and calling of shots ("trash counts"). When just playing for fun, it's pretty common to reduce the rules to basically "you have to hit one of your balls first and if one of yours then goes in, you get to go again" and as far as scratches go, only pick up the ball and place it if the cue ball goes into a pocket or off the table. For other scratches, just play it from where it ends up. Tons of other variations for casual bar/home play, though.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:33 AM

well we always play you have to call shots (unless everyone is very wasted and/or drunk girls are playing) but i never know what scratch rules to use etc. tyty.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:36 AM

In a bar when on the black, and you don't make contact with it, instant loss?
Old 03-23-2007, 11:39 AM

ok main question is this:

if you scratch (cue into a pocket) the cue needs to be placed anywhere behind the headstring (correct?)

what if you have one ball left which is also behind the headstring?

Another question is what happens when you hit the wrong ball first (some people say stnd. scratch some say ball in hand anywhere on table).

I kindve wanna make some stnd rules and like print them out + put em on the wall (we did this for beer pong in boston and it works amazing).

edit: also safeties... is it true that after you hit a 'target' ball one of either your cue ball or the target ball must either go into the pocket or hit a rail (or another ball) to not be a scratch?
Old 03-23-2007, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In a bar when on the black, and you don't make contact with it, instant loss?

[/ QUOTE ]

yah this also... if you hit 3 rails its not a loss generally (at least w/ bar rules ive heard)
Old 03-23-2007, 11:46 AM

durrrr,

Standard bar rules as I've always played in CA/Texas:

"if you scratch (cue into a pocket) the cue needs to be placed anywhere behind the headstring (correct?)"

Yes.

"what if you have one ball left which is also behind the headstring?"

You have to make the cue ball pass the headstring first before hitting your ball.

"Another question is what happens when you hit the wrong ball first (some people say stnd. scratch some say ball in hand anywhere on table)."

Bar rule scratches are generally never ball in hand anywhere on table.

"edit: also safeties... is it true that after you hit a 'target' ball one of either your cue ball or the target ball must either go into the pocket or hit a rail (or another ball) to not be a scratch?"

See offical rules. In bars, if you hit your ball, it's generally not a scratch.

Another bar rules argument comes up when you scratch on the break. Many people play instant loss, but not everyone.

Also, when you have just the 8-ball left, most people play that it is only a loss if you put the 8-ball into the wrong pocket or put the cue ball into a pocket. However, some people play that other scratches (ie: you don't hit the 8-ball first) are also a loss.

Rules on the wall are never a bad idea.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"what if you have one ball left which is also behind the headstring?"

You have to make the cue ball pass the headstring first before hitting your ball.

[/ QUOTE ]

this just seems dumb to me... ive played where you spot it up (on the dot on other end), but i feel as people get better thats a little too easy.... it sucks having to bank fulltable tho b/c the other guy scratched- seems to make scratching wayyyy too viable of a strategy.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:53 AM

durrr,

Yeah. That's how pretty much everyone plays in bar games, though. It can indeed get quite retarded if both people have balls behind the headstring and both scratch on purpose.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:55 AM

I find scratching by missing the 8 ball and losing rule to be the most abused in bars.

I just read the instructions for 8 ball. I couldn't find any time where they say ball in hand anywhere on the table, but I had been playing that way at my house forever. Do you guys play ball in hand anywhere as well?