Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who pays for your education?
Parents 117 33.52%
Other relatives 10 2.87%
Student loans 52 14.90%
Financial aid 69 19.77%
You 87 24.93%
other 14 4.01%
Voters: 349. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-17-2007, 09:30 PM

Default Re: Barry Bonds indicted

[ QUOTE ]
Why are they NOT similarly indicting Greg for perjury?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is likely that Greg Anderson can't be prosecuted because his testimony under oath was prior to his guilty plea. The guilty plea likely incorporated all charges and possible charges arising out of this investigation... and after the guilty plea he refused to testify and was held in contempt. Refusing to testify is not perjury.

[ QUOTE ]
I mean, doesn't the gubment like to go after the suppliers instead, and isn't this not just some sort of witchunt on Bonds?

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on, Bean. You know this. They went after the suppliers and they entered plea agreements. I don't know why they agreed to such light pleas, but it may have been political at the Justice Department level.

[ QUOTE ]
And do you think the apprached the angle of having Bonds flip on Greg instead, since approaching Greg didn't work?

[/ QUOTE ]

For the reasons stated above, there is nothing to charge Anderson with.

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, almost forgot, why aren't they indicting Sheff for his testimony?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know. I haven't read much of his testimony, but he had a far briefer relationship with Anderson and Balco... it may be far harder to prove that he knew what he was taking.

[ QUOTE ]
Or Palmeiro?

[/ QUOTE ]

Did he testify in the Balco case? (He probably perjured himself before Congress -- I am not sure what the process for pursuing those charges is and whether there is sufficient proof of his use prior to his testimony. There is plenty of proof of Bonds use.)

EDIT: As far all of those who said that this GJ proceeding was far more public, that is true. But the main prosecutor has left already and he is the one most likely to be covered with egg. The delay was probably due, at least in part, to the turmoil in the Justice Department in D.C. Admittedly I don't know enough about the other attorneys in the SF U.S.A.'s office, but walking away saying that he has immunity on the substantive charges and there is insufficient proof of perjury just doesn't seem so bad... perjury charges are typically sought when the testimony is way beyond belief and there is a bundle of proof that causes the prosecutors to know that the testimony was untruthful. This is a chicken/egg argument. Which came first, the desire to get Bonds or his breaking the law. I think it is the latter -- and his flaunting of it.