Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy

Old 10-31-2007, 04:26 AM

Default LC: going deep and not getting paid the big dollars

Is it possible to not go on crazy monkey tilt after going deep in a large entrant mtt only to get knocked out after several hours and less than 20-30 people from getting an actual pay amount that matters. sigh
Old 10-31-2007, 04:53 AM

Default Re: LC: going deep and not getting paid the big dollars

Take a few days off from playing. Nothing tilts me more than leaking even more money after I'm already tilting. It's a vicious cycle.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:35 AM

Yes it is possible.

Even if you are a very good player you will finish about 1/3 of all your tournaments middle-late or late, but not in the money.

If you tilt every third tournament and have to take a break of somedays afterwards you really have to work on your frustration tolerance to be successfull in poker.

btw - this is the wrong forum
Old 10-31-2007, 10:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it possible to not go on crazy monkey tilt after going deep in a large entrant mtt only to get knocked out after several hours and less than 20-30 people from getting an actual pay amount that matters. sigh

[/ QUOTE ]

Were you the one I busted out last night A5o v. Q10 :-P.

I know the feeling, Shark. Last night it almost happened to me in a $10 MTT where I went from on the precipice of winning like [censored] $30 to winning more. It sucks and I've been there SEVERAL TIMES. SEVERAL. I was literally sitting at my computer when we were playing that [censored] bubble at 2000/4000/500 five handed with an average stack of 50K, pontificating the terrible things I would do to my laptop if I busted as the bubble.

You just need to take a day off, be happy you went deep and you are improving, and most importantly (I don't know how many times I can say this), VARY your games a little so you don't go on MTT tilt.

For instance, having been fed up playing hours of MTTs, I spent an hour two tabling 10/25 cent Omaha hi. I suck at omaha hi, but that wasn't the point of playing.

Barry
Old 10-31-2007, 10:56 AM

shark...bubbling in a big tourny sucks but it is a necessary part of poker education and sometime it is unavoidable...if you are getting deep often it is only a matter of time to get over the hump...lately I have switched gears and am getting knocked out more frequent but also winning more as I have forced myself to maintain aggression..when it works the payday is huge but it can be frustrating...reload and do it again!!!
Old 10-31-2007, 02:00 PM

Bubbling doesnt really bother me since i usually go crazy stealing blinds when it gets close to bubble but when you start out in a 1500 person tournament and 3 hours later you are chip leader with 100 left. Then in 3 big hands youre out in 60th for example its so frustrating since you only get like 3 buy ins, but you can smell the 200+ buyins waitign at the final table.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:30 PM

Every night I swear off tourneys because of these types of situations. Every day, I find myself playing another tourney, hoping for that big score. I think I am addicted.

Unless you entered another tourney or cash game and started playing bad, you didn't go on tilt.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Every night I swear off tourneys because of these types of situations. Every day, I find myself playing another tourney, hoping for that big score. I think I am addicted.
Unless you entered another tourney or cash game and started playing bad, you didn't go on tilt.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're addicted to the dream of winning that huge 1st place prize. Who isn't?
Old 10-31-2007, 02:42 PM

This is why I play NLO8 after "wasting" 3 hours [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Remember when you didn't last very long? This is a much
better problem; you will get there if you keep studying
and be brutally honest with yourself.

Go back and re-watch your session if you have PT...you
might notice a few spots where you should have been more
willing to gamble before your blinds got eaten away.

Do this and watch a few PXFs of good players – you'll
learn how to keep your stack big when the end draws
near. Stay with us, and post your first score!

-ZEN
Old 10-31-2007, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bubbling doesnt really bother me since i usually go crazy stealing blinds when it gets close to bubble but when you start out in a 1500 person tournament and 3 hours later you are chip leader with 100 left. Then in 3 big hands youre out in 60th for example its so frustrating since you only get like 3 buy ins, but you can smell the 200+ buyins waitign at the final table.

[/ QUOTE ]

I may have mis-interpreted your post. If you were trying to push marginal hands and lost your stack, that is one thing. If you really had good hands and just ran into better ones or lost coin-flips, etc., that is another. I don't seem to have much success bullying with a big stack (like I've read you should), so I try not to get involved without a good hand. I think you have to be good at reading the table to be a bully, otherwise you end up giving away chips. Apparently, I am not very good yet at reading a table, as much as I've played, so I know I need to improve in that area before I can start wielding my stack like a club (as some here are able to do).