Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2007, 10:12 PM

Default Stud-Hi (6\'th Street, big problem)

I ended up hitting trips and played it exactly like the book says. What boggled me most, was that my opponents didn't believe my check-double-raise. This scared me the most as it seemed then obvious both were on a very strong flush-draw, and figured they couldn't let go with all their outs at this point.

6'th street was ugly. One player gets there, and the other doesn't. So now what? If I bet, I can chase off one flush-master, but the made flush is going to call, if not raise me. I must check here, and hope to fill up I think. At least if the second chaser comes in, I'm getting more odds to chase myself on the fill (and can get paid higher if I make it). But then there is always that small chance I mis-read the made hand, and then let the other one catch his flush on the cheap.

Anyhow, I was baffled by the check behind me on 6'th so figured I misread (yes I was right about the misread), and made a value-bet on the river while praying I don't get a raise there.

Obviously I missed a value bet on 6'th looking in hindsite now, but I think from the look and action of the boards, it was still correct?

Show hole cards is not supported for this site.
7 Card Stud High ($2/$4), Ante $0.25, Bring-In $1 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.75 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 6: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

4th Street - (2.25 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___double-raises
Seat 8: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___calls

5th Street - (5.63 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 8: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

6th Street - (8.63 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 8: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks

River - (8.63 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___calls
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 8: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___folds

Total pot: (10.63 BB)

Results (in white):<font color="white">

Total pot $42.50 Main pot $40.50 Rake $2

Seat 1: [9s Qc Qs 9h Ah Kc 7h]

Hero: [2c 2d 2h Jh 8h 7d 3s] (Three of a kind, Twos, Jack high)

</font>
Old 10-26-2007, 10:36 PM

Default Re: Stud-Hi (6\'th Street, big problem)

I bet 6th because with 4 hearts on other players boards it does not look like seat 1 has a flush. Also, I would expect seat 1 to raise 4th with a flush draw.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:48 PM

I would just bet double on fourth. Check-raising is fun, but it gives your hand away. Bet sixth. There are a lot of hands that seat 1 can have that aren't flush draws. You're playing scared, which is no doubt contributing to your downswing. I think the river bet is close, as it's quite possible that both of your opponents are drawing to flushes and may not be able to make payoff hands, but on balance I like the bet.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would just bet double on fourth. Check-raising is fun, but it gives your hand away.

[/ QUOTE ]

I always double bet right out when pairing, though this is one of the few exceptions, and one thing I agree with in the 7CS 20'th century edition:

p.84

Even though most opponents will get suspicious when you pair on fourth street and check, there are situations where you make trips and should check. These are the rare cases where it seems quite likely that you have only one pair.

Here's an obvious example. You are low with 922

Nobody raises. Now you pair your door card, giving you trips. If the last deuce is out, and you are against four or five other people you probably should check. Notice that you would certainly check if you had only two deuces.

Another thing to realize in this situation is that your hand (trips) might not be very strong, especially if some of your opponents have caught dangerous cards. But you still would rather check-raise than bet right out. It is usually a mistake to wait until fifth or sixth street to raise. You should raise immediately on fourth street, because just calling tends to give your hand away anyway. So you may miss a later opportunity. Also, another benefit of check-raising early is that it may make an opponent fold, which means that he won't get a fifth-street card to beat you.

----

I guess the only thing different, is I wasn't against four people.