Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2007, 03:45 AM

Default Always in calldown mode

Lately I've basically taken to the strategy of almost never putting myself in spots where I could make a really bad fold or a really bad calldown. I feel like I might be taking it too far sometimes though and missing opportunities. For example from today,

Villain is 50/25 and bluffy

I raise 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] OTB. Villain 3-bets from the SB. BB folds. I call.

Flop 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Villain bets. I call.

Turn 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Villain bets. I call.

Should I be raising here and calling down a 3-bet?
Old 10-11-2007, 03:59 AM

Default Re: Always in calldown mode

Depends a bit on the villain but Im calling down here. With a bluffy villain I am more likely to raise most rivers.

Basicly I also play like you, sure maybe missing out some values but it is a defensive style.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:59 AM

I like calling the turn against this specific villain as even though you are ahead of a decent part of his range, he likely will continue and bet all rivers with the majority of his range. The only thing that would make raising the turn more appealing is if he's the type to bet/calldown A high UIed. If so you need to be popping the turn.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:46 AM

I like it Leader. I basically go into calldown mode virtually every time I am 3 bet without a major hand. (at these stakes and against this type of player)
Old 10-11-2007, 08:01 AM

I raise the turn. I think it's good to give these types action, and I doubt he's folding ace high.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:05 AM

i would have to be running *extremely* bad in order to just call the turn there. how else are you gonna get him to 3-bet As2s or 77 if you don't raise now? Like sharpie said, you have to give these guys action if you really wanna turn on the spew faucet.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:12 AM

i thought i posted this a long time ago, but not raising the turn is really wrong.

people dont fold anymore. so if you raise the turn he'll convince himself you have a gutshot and call down with ace high, therefore winning another bb.

if you get three bet well hell, you have at least 6 outs probably and maybe the best hand. it is also pretty hard for him to three bet some of the hands that beat us on this board imo, unless he plays well, which isnt all that likely.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:59 AM

As vma said, I think there is a lot of value in inducing spewage and also of course value in him paying off with everything he wants to showdown. so, raise/calldown
Old 10-11-2007, 01:57 PM

He is bet/calling his ENTIRE RANGE here. Easy raise IMO. Have to call down a 3-bet but it's really 1 BB going in bad (because when 3 bb's go in on turn/river we are happy).
Old 10-11-2007, 02:09 PM

He's 3-betting you so wide in the SB that just calling here is very very weak. You are crushing his range right now. Most players will pay you off with ace high on this board. Plus this is the prime candidate to spew 3-bet you.

When its close to raise the turn or not, a very important variable to consider is if you have a lot of redraws if behind... Here you have a gutshot too... But even without it I raise this all day.

Against most 50/25s I play with, once your 3-bet , your equity isnt really that bad.

Also consider that there are 2 flush draws on this board, and therefore many hands you will be bluff raising with on this turn. If your only raising trips or better + draws, hes going to be justified in spewing against you.

This also increases the likelyhood of him 3-betting you on the turn when your ahead... (with his flush draws, and with his garbage trying to resteal from flush bluffs)