Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2007, 05:23 PM

Default realizing it\'s real money

for the past couple years, i've played poker as my main job. played almost solely heads up, did very well, never had much of a problem keeping focus or staying emotionally controlled.

i decided to get a teaching job for this fall. before it would take about a 5k loss to get me annoyed, but now, since i've started teaching, anything over a couple hundred dollars seems to bother me.

anyone else experience something like this? any suggestions for reframing/forgetting about the money?
Old 08-31-2007, 06:25 PM

Default Re: realizing it\'s real money

In all honesty that is something that broke my online poker career. I started working. Suddenly when one bad beat = two full days of work. Things just were out of perspective once I realized that and I lost all interest in continuing online.

My suggestion would be to drop stakes.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:49 PM

Honestly its probably stress from your new job creeping into poker. Happened to me before, I just try to not play when I've had a stressful day anymore.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:28 PM

i'd suggest doing exactly what you proposed, reframe the situation. do some neuro-linguistic programming on yourself and remind yourself that in order to play on the edge you need to play at in order to be a baller you need to take the value of money off the table and make moves dependent on your opponent's weaknesses. if you are scared of big pots you are playing scared and thus have a weakness your opponent can exploit. do you want to be second best?

or think about it this way... if your mind is focused on being scared, aren't you paying attention to the same thing a girl is when she is talking to her girlfriends like omg is my hair okay i'm about to meet johnny for our date at date at dave and busters? meh that's was pretty bad, hopefully you get the point.
Old 09-01-2007, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
or think about it this way... if your mind is focused on being scared, aren't you paying attention to the same thing a girl is when she is talking to her girlfriends like omg is my hair okay i'm about to meet johnny for our date at date at dave and busters? meh that's was pretty bad, hopefully you get the point.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 09-02-2007, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Anyway back to OP, I think since poker isn't your main job any more you should chill, maybe drop down a stake or two. As long as you always play within your bankroll you'll be alright, and dedicate a certain amount of $ to poker and keep it separate from money you use to pay your bills etc.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:00 PM

the reason you don't understand that is the same reason that op thinks money has anything to do with poker besides being a play enabling medium.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the reason you don't understand that is the same reason that op thinks money has anything to do with poker besides being a play enabling medium.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason he didn't understand that is because it isn't a coherent sentence.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:34 AM

i think your problem is the same as the one my wife has when she asks me how much i have got in my bankroll

ie. you view your poker bankroll as 'real money' that can be spent, or that it is the same as the 'real money' that you earn from your job. The fact is, its not real money. its your poker bankroll. Its actually working capital, just like inventory for a retailer or cash for a bail-bondsman, and as long as you have a long-term requirement to play poker (for money, enjoyment, whatever reason) its untouchable.

I have been building my bankroll over the last couple of months and very soon I will be taking a "salary" each week of 5% of my bankroll. Therefore, my bankroll is not liquid funds, but it generates liquid funds over time. If I stop playing, and "liquidate the business", its all liquid, but the future cash-flows stop.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:05 AM

ok i answered an idiotic question with an incoherent sentence, those should go together fine amirite? what am i supposed to say good for you you realized the real money you're playing with is real? i was saying that worrying about inconsequential things is inconsequential which is like gossiping, which is like what girls do when they worry about their appearence, it only drags your game down. it's the same thing that people who hitnrun worry about. omg i just dubbed up now i'm so exited i don't know what to do, have some frikkin compoosure.