Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing

Old 08-29-2007, 03:42 PM

Default LLC Tax Questions

Okay, so I spoke to a professional the other day and am now more confused than I was before speaking with him. Perhaps someone with some knowledge can enlighten this for me or PM me if they are feeling exceptionally bold to help with my questions.

1) I am in AL.
2) Sole owner of aforementioned LLC.
3) CPA mentioned something about "disregarded entity", such that my income all passes through to my schedule C.
4) Taxed as an S Corp.
5) I am creating this LLC not so much for the liability worries since there are effectively none, but instead for the tax benefits.

My questions are:

1) If I do not have to file anything for the LLC (lest I think my nominal form and fee for it being in existence), I could likely simplify this out with using a business credit card and basic accounting, correct? (I assume I'd just deduct all expenses before I pass on income to me.)
2) Would I still be able to purchase a company car, buy health insurance for employees etc etc. all under the corporate umbrella and write them off before the pass through?
3) My biggest question, since I am taxing as an S-Corp can I still split out dividends after paying myself a fair wage?

Feel free to ask any questions that may illuminate WTF is going on. I'm in the midst of significant confusion.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:09 PM

Default Re: LLC Tax Questions

If you buy a company car you deduct that on your schedule C. It's not "before" the pass through but it's a $50,000 expense - essentially the same thing as what you're thinking. Basically your personal income for the year is going to be $450,000 and you're going to have $300,000 in expenses (deductions).

Here's a decent 4 page article - How LLC's are taxed
Old 08-29-2007, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Okay, so I spoke to a professional the other day and am now more confused than I was before speaking with him. Perhaps someone with some knowledge can enlighten this for me or PM me if they are feeling exceptionally bold to help with my questions.

1) I am in AL.
2) Sole owner of aforementioned LLC.
3) CPA mentioned something about "disregarded entity", such that my income all passes through to my schedule C.
4) Taxed as an S Corp.
5) I am creating this LLC not so much for the liability worries since there are effectively none, but instead for the tax benefits.

My questions are:

1) If I do not have to file anything for the LLC (lest I think my nominal form and fee for it being in existence), I could likely simplify this out with using a business credit card and basic accounting, correct? (I assume I'd just deduct all expenses before I pass on income to me.)
2) Would I still be able to purchase a company car, buy health insurance for employees etc etc. all under the corporate umbrella and write them off before the pass through?
3) My biggest question, since I am taxing as an S-Corp can I still split out dividends after paying myself a fair wage?

Feel free to ask any questions that may illuminate WTF is going on. I'm in the midst of significant confusion.

[/ QUOTE ]

What tax benefits does a single-member LLC have over a proprietorship? I don't believe there are any.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:43 PM

Bradley,

I can structure the pass through as distributions or salary however I'd like... Or...

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/biz.../20001102a.asp

No clue what that is.

Phone Booth,

I thought there were some retirement benefits, but it seems it is looking more and more confusing. Dividends were the main reason though.