Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2007, 02:28 AM

Default Re: Top Chef 7/18

This was my analysis after 2 episodes:

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously very hard to tell with only 2 episodes in the books, but I thought I'd give it a shot:

<u>Top 4</u>

Hung - clearly very competent

Tre - very odd that he seasoned his dish wrong last night... represents alot of variance to me based on that alone

Joey - alot of this is based on his background. His dishes also seemed above-average. Also (and I think I'm in the minority) I kind of like him.

Casey - I withdraw my opinion from E1 thread, she's the hottest on the show. I think she may be pretty talented also at the very least she's spunky and has confidence. Not getting rattled easily is pretty big, imo.

<u>Middle-Of-The-Pack</u>

Dale - think Dids mentioned he reminds him of Sam from S2. I kind of agree with that in his approach, though nerves might be an issue. Could easily slide in Top 4.

Sarah M (cheesemaker) - seems talented though really have not much info on her (except she had worked with Geoduck before). Also could see her moving up.

Brian (seafood sausage) - eh, his presentation seems sloppy, sorta reminds me of Dave from S1 (guessing flavors are strong and there, execution not the sharpest)

Camille - her restaurant emphasizes simplicity so straightforward execution could keep her around, but she doesn't seem to be that well-rounded.

Sara N (Dids gf) - her bbq dish was pretty whatever imo. Nerves obviously an issue... competent enough but think she's gone soon.

Micah - also represents alot of variance they're portraying her as very talented but a space cadet.

<u>Bottom 3</u>

Lia - her lamb dish from E1 was kind of weak, but she seems to have her head about her, and I think this is pretty key to advancing, hard to tell with her

CJ (tall dude) - bet he does not have the chops to stick around long

Howie - who cuts their meat early? Even I know that will really dry it out. That's retarded I think he might not be very good.

<u>Eliminated</u>

Sandee - kind of robbed last night? I don't know hard to tell, her fake bbq dish sounded delicious to me though.

Clay - wonder why they chose him... just to show that this season's caliber of chef is very high? He definitely felt like a sacrificial lamb type choice.

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

Looking at that list, Casey has disappointed (primarily due to lack of hot tub scene), and obviously I was way off on Howie.

Also thought Sara N. should've gotten the boot tonight.

Ranking Through 5 Episodes:

<u>Top 4</u>
Tre - always a contender, had momentary bbq stumble, been strong ever since.
Hung - he's gonna be fine.
Joey - do you guys still hate him as much as you did before? I've always been sort of a fan, and he showed something tonight.
Brian - he's surprised me a bit, very strong I'd say overall.

<u>Middle-Of-The-Pack</u>
Howie - he's so due for a meltdown (again), so can't put the guy in Top 4.
Dale - think he's got it in him to pull off a nice comeback, still around despite 2 mediocore showings.
Sarah M (cheesemaker) - who knows, she doesn't suck I guess.

<u>Bottom 3</u>
Casey - only hot chick left plz keep her around.
CJ - he represents alot of variance can't tell, seems talented could make a push up.
Sara N - zzzzzzz so boring.

<u>Eliminated</u>
Lia
Camille
Micah
Sandee
Clay

-Al
Old 07-19-2007, 02:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Howie did well, despite Tom's (and the guest judge's) reservations.

[/ QUOTE ]

Braised pork for lunch? meh

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't care about what time of day things come. Worrying about that is very limiting and has nothing to do with food.

Vietnamese people I know, for instance, have soup at breakfast. Japanese people do this sometimes too.

Getting hung up on what you're "supposed" to eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner seems silly to me. I'm happy to eat good food anytime. As long as the food fits the time constraints (no soup if I'm on the run on the street, etc.), I'm fine with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like eating heavy meals in the middle of the day. It screws with my energy and alertness.

Asian noodle soup or raw fish is a much better and healthier breakfast than what Americans and Europeans typically eat.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Joey - do you guys still hate him as much as you did before? I've always been sort of a fan, and he showed something tonight.

[/ QUOTE ]

When he cooks well, he cooks really well, and he's great and likeable. When he doesn't cook well, he's a whiney confrontational prick who blames other people for his failure.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:37 AM

Kudos to Howie for giving his prize to Joey. Sometimes it's nice to see that happen.

I think Hung could learn alot from that.

b
Old 07-19-2007, 07:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When you go out and tell them that today they have 3 hours I think it's just stupid to change it after the fact because it can create really unfair situations if one person picked dishes that NEED to cook for more time and others picked dishes where no component can't be rushed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you and many of the chefs glossed over Tom's initial comments to them about how the cast of the Spanish soap opera is on a tight, unpredictable schedule. In fact, if I recall correctly he made numerous statements to them about this. Of course, all many of them heard was "you will have three hours to prepare."
Old 07-19-2007, 08:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Brian - he's surprised me a bit, very strong I'd say overall.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. He has come out of trouble in the first episode to having a look of being able to go very deep in the competition.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:16 AM

OT:

I don't think there are threads on this show, but does anyone watch The Next Food Network Star?

It got down to the final two contestants and then it came out that one of them, "JAG" had lied about his background. He said that he graduated from culinary school and served in the marines in Afghanistan.

Turns out he never graduated and has never been to Afghanistan.

This was an awesome big surprise, but it absolutely killed the finale, because now they have to bring back the 3rd place finisher, who obviously isn't going to win unless the original finalist lets out a racial slur or something.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OT:

I don't think there are threads on this show, but does anyone watch The Next Food Network Star?

It got down to the final two contestants and then it came out that one of them, "JAG" had lied about his background. He said that he graduated from culinary school and served in the marines in Afghanistan.

Turns out he never graduated and has never been to Afghanistan.

This was an awesome big surprise, but it absolutely killed the finale, because now they have to bring back the 3rd place finisher, who obviously isn't going to win unless the original finalist lets out a racial slur or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to participate in the hijack, but...

Remember--thus far, the JUDGES have determined who left.

In the headsup finale, it's the viewers who decide.

Do not be surprised if the Girl Next Door is more appealing to the masses than the Horse Faced Big Boobed Texan.

Food for thought, so to speak.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:35 AM

Thoughts:

Hung kinda thinks way inside the box on a lot of these challenges and is getting outclassed. He's the only guy who just basically made a pie.

Lia looked kinda saucy with her hair down. I had the impression she was pretty skilled, sad to see her go, but I think she was asking for it.

Sara N's [censored] looked nasty. I just don't think guac and raw fish are things I would like together.

Hated guest judge. I don't mind when they're critical, but be specific.

In general I thought the premise of both challenges was a little lame and boring.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When you go out and tell them that today they have 3 hours I think it's just stupid to change it after the fact because it can create really unfair situations if one person picked dishes that NEED to cook for more time and others picked dishes where no component can't be rushed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you and many of the chefs glossed over Tom's initial comments to them about how the cast of the Spanish soap opera is on a tight, unpredictable schedule. In fact, if I recall correctly he made numerous statements to them about this. Of course, all many of them heard was "you will have three hours to prepare."

[/ QUOTE ]
Nope, I heard it. Obviously it was setup for the "surprise" but it was still lame. When I'm on a tight and unpredictable schedule I don't eat elaborate lunches with 10 different entre options. It just felt very contrived, artificial and pointless.