Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2007, 07:54 PM

Default Re: Whole Grain Bread?

All,

The white bread comp is horrible its similar to saying, "I will eat something in lieu of one of the worst things possible to put into my body." I was looking for why you eat it at all. I think the sandwich comment was excellent, but I was really wondering why people include it at all.

BB,

Your comment about micromanaging diet is just plain wrong. Almost anyone who takes training seriously counts or has counted calories previously.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
...get back to 10xBW bench press by the end of the year.

[/ QUOTE ]

YEAH GOOD LUCK WITH THAT.

[/ QUOTE ]

10 reps of 1BW bench press was what I intended to convey.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:43 PM

thremp,

Bread is a very versatile food. In addition, if you've been used to eating bread for many years, and you're now aware that white bread is one of the worst foods, there are 2 things you can do:
1)Eliminate it or minimize consumption
2)Replace minimal consumption with a more nutritious (and arguably tastier) substitute.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:21 AM

Ankle,

To elaborate even more... The idea is whether the ease of sandwich consumption and the bread therein would be better served by just eating tuna fish, sandwich meat, etc. on a plate with a different vegetable or fruit as a side instead of bread. Of course in a real diet there is some need for ease etc.

I am curious if anyone is eating 5-10 slices a day and their thoughts on this. I will likely settle into 2-4 slices and feel that is fine. More is frown town IMO as you start introducing an excess of calories from carbs and not really the best sources.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:08 PM

Thremp,

I sometimes eat more than four slices a day, but that's usually because I had the munchies and just couldn't resist peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I've started making half sandwiches using only one slice of bread but the normal amount of sandwich filler, that helps.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:17 AM

Outside of pizza maybe twice and toast maybe 3/4 times, I haven't had any bread since January and it's definitely been one of the better decisions I've made IMO. Obviously it's very goal-dependent. I think the real issue with whole-grain bread is that tons of bread that is touted as whole-grain is chock-full of a lot of the bad stuff inherent to generic white bread.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the real issue with whole-grain bread is that tons of bread that is touted as whole-grain is chock-full of a lot of the bad stuff inherent to generic white bread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Care to elaborate?
Old 07-02-2007, 09:39 AM

Well a lot of it is just about checking the ingredients on the bread you buy. Just like Skippy can say "no trans fat" on their peanut butter, there are quite a few brands of "Whole Grain Bread" that are simply advertising ploys.

Here are a few threads that discuss it a bit:

Link1
Link2

Here's an article on Grain in general. Good read for the purpose of this thread.

Grain Article
Old 07-02-2007, 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think the real issue with whole-grain bread is that tons of bread that is touted as whole-grain is chock-full of a lot of the bad stuff inherent to generic white bread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Care to elaborate?

[/ QUOTE ]

I know he provided a bunch of links, but off the top of my head I know that tons of "whole grain" and "whole wheat" breads contain High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) which is basically the devil.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know that tons of "whole grain" and "whole wheat" breads contain High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) which is basically the devil.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are a gazillion things more important about which to worry, healthwise, than whether you consume a few grams of HFCS in an otherwise low sugar diet.