Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 06-06-2007, 04:52 PM

Default Cell phone contracts: I\'m an idiot

Mini background: I got a new cell phone and extended my Verizon contract for 2 years on May 30, 2005. I remember this date specifically because I was flying to California the next day, the same day I was eligible for a new phone at a subsidized price. My current phone's battery lasted about 5 minutes, so I needed to get a new one or else I'd be across the country and out of contact (I was also going to be driving 7 hours alone, so not an option). Getting the phone 12 hours early meant I had to pay an extra $150 or something.

Unfortunately my memory of the exact day ended up burning me. I assumed since May 31st was the day I could get the new phone that the contract I extended would end on May 31, 2007. On this assumption I got a new phone from Cingular last week planning to port my number over when my Verizon contract expired (I've been forwarding my calls to my new cingular number). I called Verizon last night and found out that my contract doesn't actually expire until September. I am an idiot. As far as I can tell this leaves me with 3 options:
1) Pay the $175 cancellation fee
2) Pay for both Verizon and Cingular service for the next 3 months (Note for reference: This costs less than #1, but would prevent me from getting texts since I can't forward those)
3) Return the Cingular phone and cancel the service

I would much prefer to keep the phone I just got (Samsung Blackjack vs. old standard LG flip phone) but I'd feel really stupid paying for 2 contracts at once. I could try to get rid of my contract on http://cellswapper.com but then I lose my number that I've had for ~6 years, which sucks.

So OOT, is there some magical fourth option that I haven't thought of? Are there any Verizon insiders who can hack their systems and set me free? Is there anyone who wants to tell me what a [censored] I am?

p.s. There was a little trick a few months ago where you could get out of a Verizon contract due to their increased text messaging rates (link) but all sources I could find say you had to do that by March 1, 2007. Obviously, being an idiot, I didn't know about it then.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:56 PM

Default Re: Cell phone contracts: I\'m an idiot

Stop being raped by extortionary cell contracts and get a prepaid phone.

http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/plans/d...plancategory=4
Prepaid Calling Plans: T-Mobile To Go Pay As You Go
Old 06-06-2007, 04:57 PM

The most sensible thing is probably to return your new phone and then pickup a new phone and service again in september. So i'm not going to reccomend that.

Is there any way you can have cingular delay the start of your new service until september? That way you wouldn't have to pay an extra fee or return the phone.

P.S. i am a pro and [censored] myself on phone contracts, i think i'm into cingular for the next 6 years or something now due to breaking phones immediately after gettnig them.

[ QUOTE ]
Stop being raped by extortionary cell contracts and get a prepaid phone.

http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/plans/d...plancategory=4
Prepaid Calling Plans: T-Mobile To Go Pay As You Go

[/ QUOTE ]
1) This is totally irrelevant and has nothing to do with my post
2) As far as I can tell this would end up costing me more money.

Did I miss the part of how you got 4 extra months tacked onto your contract somehow?
Old 06-06-2007, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did I miss the part of how you got 4 extra months tacked onto your contract somehow?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm guessing that there are different timespans for getting subsidized phones and contracts ending. Most likely, based on what happened and how long I've been with Verizon, the latter happens one month before the former. All in all, it seems to have worked out pretty well on their part.

Edit: Other than making me really annoyed, of course.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

b/c the eligible to renew date is different than the contract expiration date
Old 06-06-2007, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there any way you can have cingular delay the start of your new service until september? That way you wouldn't have to pay an extra fee or return the phone.

[/ QUOTE ]
As far as I know there's no fee for returning the phone. I bought it through Amazon/Wirefly and it has a 30 day moneyback whatever and even came with a return shipping label with postage paid. I will probably have to pay some prorated service fees for the week or two I had Cingular service, but there's really no way around that. If I'm going to not be using the phone now anyway I might as well return it since there will probably be something better/cheaper available in 3 months.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:15 PM

Evan - same thing happened to me. I paid for both for 3 months. It's good for the "i have a new cell" transition period.

My old # was an LI area code so i updated and kept the new number, don't know how that works.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:16 PM

I sent you a pm.

You should not have a problem voiding out your Verizon contract.