Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2007, 06:02 PM

Default Sklansky Hand RAnkings

I thought I saw a post regarding this a year or so ago, but can't find it in the searches.

While I understand fully the SC-rankings for hands and how THOSE were calculated, what I don't quite understand is the hand rankings for (out of 169) deal. I'm curious if these were determined by just intuition, or if there was some sort of brute-force calculation behind this.

I'm not sure how better to classify the second ranking group method, so I hope I'm not making things too confusing here.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:49 PM

Default Re: Sklansky Hand RAnkings

[ QUOTE ]
While I understand fully the SC-rankings for hands and how THOSE were calculated, what I don't quite understand is the hand rankings for (out of 169) deal. I'm curious if these were determined by just intuition, or if there was some sort of brute-force calculation behind this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean his original (fixed limit) hand groups? iirc it was a little bit of both (sims & intuition).
Old 05-15-2007, 03:06 PM

He does mention in the end of the section that after you gain expertise you will no longer use such a rating list. Hand values change based on the make-up of the table. For example, in loose passive games suited connectors and small pocket pairs are quite valuable. In tough, aggressive games these hands are almost worthless.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:57 PM

Well, I noticed PokerOffice lists each starting hand by value. The author of the software claims these were taken from Sklansky's list of hand values. So that lead me to wonder where this list is, and how the order was determined. There was a post about this a long time ago, but it may be I had misread it for the SC rankings instead.

It's not really that big an issue, but did have my curiousity.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:45 AM

It is my understanding that the Hand Rankings found in HPFAP were developed with the idea of which hands make you the most money. The hand rankings rank A,K over pairs of 9`s and below. Obviously pairs with few exceptions are better starting hands than non pairs if the hands are played heads up to a river show down. There are a few other comparisons like this that could be made but I won`t go into it. Suffice it to say that the hand rankings are a guide (a good one) but are just that.

pokervintage
Old 05-19-2007, 06:44 AM

I have been using PokerOffice for some time and it is great if you love crunching numbers. However, for beginners and players who are learning the basics of the game, Ten Commandments of Poker is much better. It will give you advice directly after each hand about what rules you are breaking. It also holds the Sklansky hand rankings as one of the basic fundementals to which cards to play, but it will give you great advice all the way through the hand on flop, turn and river, which few books can do.