Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2007, 04:31 PM

Default Re: Crossfit Discussion

J,

I looked into Crossfit after seeing you mention it a couple of times.

Do you do it by yourself from the website or are you part of a group?

It looks pretty interesting and, more importantly, motivating and full of variety. That's pretty important for me. Weights and running have been my standard for years and I definitely mix things up, but I still go through phases as I get bored.

I'm thinking of doing some classes ( http://www.sanfranciscocrossfit.com/ ). I can only do about 10 pullups right now, though. Would it make more sense for me to get in a little better shape before attempting CrossFit?
Old 09-14-2007, 04:43 PM

CF is unbelievably stupid outside of being used as a general fitness program. And the founder is a (fat) chronic liar which, while funny, doesn't do much for their credibility.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:48 PM

El D

Most people aren't in 100% CF shape, it's an incredibly hard cross training program, like others have said though, it's probably the best thing out there for what it advertises. I couldn't even get through the warm up when i first started this fitness kick. It'd probably take you a year to get enough strength to fully do all the CF workouts, they cut them down though so that it's manageable for people that are just starting. I'd definitely start with classes too unless you really know your way around a gym. Take a few classes, see if it's your thing, if it is I'd continue taking a decent number of classes until you feel comfortable/motivated enough to do it on your own on an everyday basis.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:00 PM

AZK,

I watched one of the timed workout videos and I think it would be near impossible for me to get motivated enough to really give 100% unless I had other people I was doing it with. The one I watched was 400m run, 30x box jump, 30x "wallball" repeated 5x.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:08 PM

CT,

Could you give a brief summary of your main issues with it? I took a glance around the website and it mainly looked like a workout program to me with a lot of different types of exercises and workouts.

From reading the main stuff, seems like they are just pushing compound exercises over isolation exercises and repeated high-intensity shorter sessions over lower-intensity long sessions, and make some not very controversial healthier diet suggestions.

What are the parts you don't like?
Old 09-14-2007, 06:00 PM

D,

You should absolutely take classes. Whether or not you want to go all outdoing crossfit stuff, a crossfit certified trainer is WAY more likely to give good instruction on general weight lifting form then some guy at the local chain gym.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
CT,

Could you give a brief summary of your main issues with it? I took a glance around the website and it mainly looked like a workout program to me with a lot of different types of exercises and workouts.

From reading the main stuff, seems like they are just pushing compound exercises over isolation exercises and repeated high-intensity shorter sessions over lower-intensity long sessions, and make some not very controversial healthier diet suggestions.

What are the parts you don't like?

[/ QUOTE ]

Mostly hyperbole. Its not all things to all people. Its an excellent program to get you in shape as a general athlete. It's not going to out perform a well-created hypertrophy program. You can be very elite at crossfit workouts and still look like trash. Which isn't what 99% of people lift for.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:36 PM

I guess I dont understand what crossfit is?

I am looking at the list of exercises on the website. It has Olympic lifts and powerlifting in addition to all the "crossfit" exercises. Seems like that would be great for hypertrophy.

What does a week of exercises for a elite crossfitter look like?

I see tons of individual stuff but I am really curious about a whole week.

I would like to try some of it out if it includes all the powerlifting and olympic lifting stuff.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess I dont understand what crossfit is?

I am looking at the list of exercises on the website. It has Olympic lifts and powerlifting in addition to all the "crossfit" exercises. Seems like that would be great for hypertrophy.

What does a week of exercises for a elite crossfitter look like?

I see tons of individual stuff but I am really curious about a whole week.

I would like to try some of it out if it includes all the powerlifting and olympic lifting stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you honestly going to say that by following crossfit or a crossfit based routine that you would see better physique results than if you opened up your range to all sorts of different programs and other options?

I think we can eliminate the WOD with no real effort.

There is no doubt that you would grow on it. Much like many posters here post something about their DB only program or whatever their doing and then defend it saying "Well it works for me" while at the same time asking for advice. Large compound lifts work great and there are some big dudes who do crossfit, but that is pretty much immaterial. I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who competes even on a lower level who takes crossfit seriously as an optimal solution.

FWIW if I wanted to get back into athletics (which I may after I gain some size). I'll likely be doing a program that is either crossfit or almost the exact same. Lots of GPP, core work, and powerlifting and Olympic lifts. And some running [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-14-2007, 07:58 PM

please expand

[ QUOTE ]
CF is unbelievably stupid outside of being used as a general fitness program. And the founder is a (fat) chronic liar which, while funny, doesn't do much for their credibility.

[/ QUOTE ]