Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2006, 03:04 AM

Default Re: Trip report/ask me about time in maximum (and minimum) security pr

How long ago was this/how old are you now?

Very good read btw, thanks for posting.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:06 AM

Default Re: Trip report/ask me about time in maximum (and minimum) security prison

[ QUOTE ]
My Turn,
Thanks for the story, it takes a lot of guts to post it here.

[/ QUOTE ]
thanks... it happened and I share it every so often....it doesn't bother me that much
[ QUOTE ]

A couple of questions-
Did your lawyer suck? Three years in prison seems a little harsh for possession or are you leaving out part of the story?

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm...my lawyer came highly recommended, rated high, was familiar with the system and these types of cases, and charged enough (over $10k)

the issue here is GHB. I was sort of the first guy caught in Illinois right at the time that it was spreading like wildfire through the state (late 98, early 99). GHB stories were in school newspapers, showing up at raves, showing up at dance clubs. Unfortunately, many a-holes use GHB for much more sinister things than myself. I was simply a drug connoisseur, who used the drug as alcohol advanced. Basically, I could maintain my dean's list level of study, but still go out 4 nights a week in party mode. It was very similar to being drunk, yet I got a good night's sleep and didn't have hangovers the next day. Obviously, many realized it could be used as a 'date rape' drug. The states prosecuting attorney for Peoria County had high hopes of office. He really wanted a conviction against the 'date rape' drug. (BTW, the date rape thing does bother me as I was labeled when this was so far and away from my intent. I find rape quite sickening in all forms as I'm sure most of you do, too.) The way the laws are written, I was guilty of intent to deliver. If I was merely sharing my stash with friends, which I was, I'm a dealer according to the law. The question was whether the jury would convict me. I didn't want to take my chances. Lawyer did get them to go down to only possession.

[ QUOTE ]
Has it affected your employment/school once you got out?

[/ QUOTE ]

yep...it's completely screwed me. I simply didn't register for the semesters I was gone and was still in the system to register for classes when I finished my sentence. no big deal with school

work, on the other hand, is a near impossibility. Despite graduating from one of, if not the best, undergraduate and master programs of accounting with high honors, I could not land a single job. The sole reason is my previous felony conviction. I tried many different sectors, but I'm screwed. It's pretty much how I happened to end up being a professional gambler.
[ QUOTE ]

Toss any salad?

[/ QUOTE ]

I repeat...NO!
Old 12-11-2006, 03:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How long ago was this/how old are you now?

Very good read btw, thanks for posting.

[/ QUOTE ]

I served time from January 3rd, 2000 to January 3rd, 2001. It was followed by a year parole--group meetings on substance abuse, random piss cups (drug tests), and progress checks.

I'm 27 now.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:10 AM

MyTurn,

Thank you for sharing. Did the g/f who visited you continue doing so the whole way through, or was the break-up prior to your release?
Old 12-11-2006, 03:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Very good read, very interesting.

What were you thinking about during the transition period between normal (college student) and prisoner immediately before you got locked up?

[/ QUOTE ]

holding out hope I wouldn't have to serve time mainly.

I pretty much had trouble sleeping.

I should've been planning post-prison life.

[ QUOTE ]

How many days transpired between knowing that you were going to be leaving your regular life and going to prison?

[/ QUOTE ]

busted in mid-march. Warrant was issued in late June. By September, it was apparent I was screwed. So, for over 3 months, I knew.

[ QUOTE ]

How did you try to prepare youself during this time?

[/ QUOTE ]

I worked out like crazy to get and appear stronger. I would immerse myself in my school work and my girlfriend.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
MyTurn,

Thank you for sharing. Did the g/f who visited you continue doing so the whole way through, or was the break-up prior to your release?

[/ QUOTE ]

whole way through....not sure how good I would've made it through without her

we broke-up when I was on house arrest---I was devestated (and still somewhat am)
Old 12-11-2006, 03:17 AM

Cool, that's badass.

Did you ever think about writing a letter to California telling him you didn't say anything, perhaps playing humble like apologizing or sending him a gift? This sounds pretty girlish but I'm just wondering if you're scared of him getting out or ordering a hit on you or something.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What movie/TV show in your opinion is the most realistic in its portrayal of prison life. What is the most common misconception about prisons that people have.

[/ QUOTE ]

the problem is that tv only shows the highlights/big events

what they cannot capture is how long and draining it is

it's the non-event time that sucks as well...at least events give something for the mind to focus on
the rest of time is the brain being on alert and primed for fight-or-flee in a fear and/or aggressive state for 24 hours.

It's so draining.

I had lots of trouble watching American History X the first time post-prison. It captured the fear atmosphere as best as any. It also had a profound moment about how Ed Norton's family was also doing time. This is so true and might be non-obvious. My family and close friends went through alot of hell, too. Unfortunately, I somewhat realized this and it would really crush me mentally from time-to-time.

The key is to get the mind involved in some mindless task that can eat up time....like mastering chess openings.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Cool, that's badass.

Did you ever think about writing a letter to California telling him you didn't say anything, perhaps playing humble like apologizing or sending him a gift? This sounds pretty girlish but I'm just wondering if you're scared of him getting out or ordering a hit on you or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

prisoners and ex-prisoners cannot write letters to other prisoners

no, this never crossed my mind. A big hope of mine is to never come across him or anyone affiliated with him again.

There are NO friends in prison. Trying to foster that sort of relationship can only happen after many months between two guys serving long terms (such as Shawshank).

Also, it's a bad idea to reason with a psychopath.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:24 AM

Mt2tr,

How often would you and other inmates discuss the crimes you did to get into prison? Did you know of anyone you genuinely though of as innocent?