Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2007, 05:15 PM

Default Re: Stud Hi (A startling finding)

[ QUOTE ]
I suspect when I have three tens, the # of straights out there is so diminished, that when ever I get the ACTION that I think I want with my ten's full, I'm always getting a much higher bias in STRONGER hands (like other full houses/quads) etc. And conversely, there are less made straights that can pay me off for when I actually am ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]I find this an interesting chain of reasoning, which tells you to do what, when you play? How will you counter this in future? And just to stay with the thread theme of criticising the OP, (except for SG, always the gentleman) it's "fewer" made straights - not "less." But I think you may be on to something - maybe you should run some sims and see what pops up.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:03 AM

2 am here, I'm a little tired so I hope I make sense.

About the play that seems to cause controversy. I was at a table where people often jam with all kinds of junk, so nothing is definite. I happened to get stuck as the bring-In, which is already 50% of the sb, and the table was high ante. Given the players are bad (and will pay me off even if it's obvious I have a monster), and other reasons mentioned, this is why I played it. I wouldn't have played it at all if I hadn't been forced as the BI.

If I were to play as tight in that structure (with these players) as most 2+2 kids would expect you to, I would have ante'd myself to death ages ago (just like Broomcorn's Uncle). And yes, I do see many rocks come and after a few K hands go by, they are hugely in the red (worse than the donkeys often) because they are doing way too many laydowns and not grabbing their share.

In the meantime, I guess it's just some bad statistical variance for the loss on that kind of boat. I will wait at least another 100K hands, and then maybe come back to this thread and give an update. Those hands should be in before January.

P.S. And for all those who think they may be experts at the 1-2$ levels for this structure, I'd like to actually watch you play a few sessions..
Old 10-21-2007, 08:14 AM

That ante structure in a low stakes games in hard to beat, like the games on Party. Maybe this is Party, but I am banned from there. The ante is higher than in the 100/200 game. I really wouldn't play this game, but if you do, maybe calling with 2 high cards and a 2 flush on 3rd and a 3-flush on 4th is good.