Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help

Old 09-24-2007, 02:22 PM

Default My lazy network card doesn\'t like uploading.

Since I built this desktop, the network connection has been wonky. Every once in a while, correlated to use (especially uploading), the net goes out. I can't ping anybody (even the local router), but dis/reenabling the network connection in windows fixes it. I have other machines plugged into the same router, so it's definitely the machine.

Could this really be a hardware issue? It's a Marvell 88E8001 on an Asus mobo, and updating the driver didn't seem to fix anything. Should I just buy another nic and disable the onboard one? That seems like a waste (both of $ and expansion slots).
Old 09-24-2007, 10:07 PM

Default Re: My lazy network card doesn\'t like uploading.

Sam,

I'm not familiar with this particular LAN cip off the top of my head, but take a look in the hardware properties and see if there are any "advanced featured" enabled that you can disable - things like "Checksum Offload" , "Segmentation Offload" etc.

Obviously these may reduce your performance a tad, but a) not by much, and b) I doubt you are maxing the throughput on this adapter often in it's current state [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Anyhow, have a play with those - I encountered more than one computer where Euora (Email client) would break networking after a few send/receive cycles, turning off "Checksum offload" cured it somehow [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] - that was an Nforce3 chipset LAN, IIRC.

Best of luck,

dave.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:22 PM

im sure you probably have but in case you haven't thought of it yet try using a different eth cable to be sure its not the issue.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:53 PM

Are you able to ping the loopback when its "down"? Does the link light remain lit?

If you can ping the loopback that is definitely suggestive of hardware, but if you can't ping the loopback then that suggests software. Not definitive either way unfortunately but its a start.