Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 03-18-2007, 01:07 PM

Default History Re-Written

[ QUOTE ]
Uhm... the last time we were involved in a war with China, we are ALLIES against the Japanese...

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh? When the Chinese attacked us in 1950 I was not aware we were also at war with Japan.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_war
Old 03-18-2007, 08:43 PM

Default Re: History Re-Written

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Uhm... the last time we were involved in a war with China, we are ALLIES against the Japanese...

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh? When the Chinese attacked us in 1950 I was not aware we were also at war with Japan.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_war

[/ QUOTE ]

Felix,

Im glad that you posted again in this thread but sad you decided to nit pick tertiary historical comments as opposed to restating or arguing the comments you made previously that put you squarely on the side of those who would deny well documented acts of genocide. Im particularly looking forward to you backing up your "Japan is growing balls by denying a record which boasts some of the worst atrocities of World War Two (on any front by any side)" arguement.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
restating or arguing the comments you made previously that put you squarely on the side of those who would deny well documented acts of genocide.

[/ QUOTE ]
You can not support this ridciulous statement....
It is hard to argue politics with someone who misrepresents what you have said.

[ QUOTE ]
"Japan is growing balls by denying a record which boasts some of the worst atrocities of World War Two (on any front by any side)" arguement.

[/ QUOTE ]
Putting Japan and Germany on a 60 year guilt trip is a long time. The actions of the Japanese Prime Minister are those of a man who is resentful of the repeated and prolong assaults on the pride of the Japanese nation. The USA has a military alliance with Taiwan. By treaty, if the Chi-Coms attack, the USA will be at war with Communist China. I want Japan to be on our side and have the 100+ million Japanese on our side to fight the billion Chi-Coms... I would like to see Japan rearm.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:50 AM

Felix,
[ QUOTE ]
Putting Japan and Germany on a 60 year guilt trip is a long time. The actions of the Japanese Prime Minister are those of a man who is resentful of the repeated and prolong assaults on the pride of the Japanese nation.

[/ QUOTE ]
No, they are indicative of a prolonged and systematic attempt by the Japanese government to bury all evidence of wrongdoing. Japanese schoolchildren are not taught about what happened in WWII. It's wiped from their closely controlled history books. I've seen young (20-something) Japanese become shocked and ashamed to the point of tears when learning the truth about their culture and their history. They are simply never taught. Compare that to Germany, where they owned up to their wrongdoing, and made a determined attempt to destroy all remnants of Nazi ideology. Their parliament made a law saying that the history of the Holocaust and German atrocities must be taught in German schools.

The trouble is that Japan today still has elements of the culture that spawned the horror of WWII. The blind obedience to authority. The belief in racial purity. A deep nationalism and suspicion of foreigners. A culture of male domination. Don't get me wrong, the Japanese are a friendly, generous and successful people, and in many areas they put Americans to shame. But underneath this stuff still exists. Many of those who committed atrocities went on to positions of power in government and elsewhere, and it's no surprise that they've been trying to rewrite history ever since WWII finished. Imagine the outcry if the Germans had tried to do the same thing, and allowed former Nazi leaders to go on to positions of power in government and elsewhere, instead of facing war crimes charges.

The PM's comments are an outrage, and we should be appalled. I'm amazed this debate is even happening.