Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 03-07-2007, 07:31 PM

Default Next on Faux News: Hitler found not guilty of killing eskimos

http://www.brainshrub.com/libby-not-guilty

Honestly, how can any reasonable person support this trash? From Roger Ailes, long-time GOP political operative and current headmaster of Fox News on down to "journalists" like Bret "I'll whore out my mike for any wing nut idea around" Hume, it's miserable stuff, a complete disgrace to american journalism.

What exactly is it about the American right nowadays that treats honesty in public discourse so poorly? Recall the level of discussion about the Iraq war...grown men attacking dissent with phrases like "cut and run". Can you imagine? That's something you'd expect to hear from 6th graders in a schoolyard. But hey, it sells at election time to that crucial, moronic 10 % of the electorate who buys that stuff.

Throw in an executive branch that lies and deceives at every turn, smothers the tools vital to keeping the citizenry and congress well-informed, and generally seems to regard citizens as so many pawns in endless political games, and you've got a great, disastrous trifecta.

Good thing Mencken is dead, he'd surely die a painful death laughing at this garbage and those who defend same...
Old 03-07-2007, 07:44 PM

Default Re: Next on Faux News: Hitler found not guilty of killing eskimos

I would be willing to bet that the graphic in question was being rotated among different elements of the case: it was listing the different charges against Libby sequentially. If this is true, it is perfectly reasonable for Fox to point out that Libby was acquitted of one of the charges. If my guess is correct; you, Canis (in the other thread) and the website are taking Fox News out of context.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:48 PM

one of the four counts he was found guilty of involved lying to FBI agents, so the headline "not quilty of lying to FBI" is false.

Here spin this one:

Old 03-07-2007, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
one of the four counts he was found guilty of involved lying to FBI agents, so the headline "not quilty of lying to FBI" is false.

Here spin this one:

[/ QUOTE ]

Certainly a conservative slant - not surprising from Fox - but I am guessing it is addressing the issue that you have a 3 year investigation in which there was no underlying crime, with the only conviction being for lying during the investigation of a non-crime.

Personally, I think perjury is a very bad crime, and I agree with Fitzpatrick that if someone is guilty of it, they should be punished. To bad some of the people saying that today didn't feel the same when another high level goverment official clearly perjured himself in a lawsuit.

That said, the conservative take on this seems to be that the investigation should have ended much sooner ... early on Fitzpatrick was in possession of the identity of the person who leaked the name - Armitedge from State - and many people (e.g., New York Times, Wall Street Journal) concluded very quickly that there was no crime involved even assuming all that Wilson said was true (and very little of it was). They would argue that the investigation should have ended earlier and this would have never happened.

I think that explains the banner you see there.

NCAces
Old 03-07-2007, 09:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but I am guessing it is addressing the issue that you have a 3 year investigation in which there was no underlying crime, with the only conviction being for lying during the investigation of a non-crime.

[/ QUOTE ]

bbbzzzzzz.... WRONG! Sorry but they were investigating a crime. The FBI does not investigate non-crimes. Sorry, thanks for playing. Better luck next time.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Here spin this one:

[/ QUOTE ]

"The 11-member jury acquitted Mr. Libby on an additional count of <u>making false statements to the F.B.I.</u>"

That is a lead in to Hannity &amp; Colmes. See the block letters? "Was there even a crime?" is clearly the topic for the night, just as we know what side Hannity will take.

Fox is a joke anyway. All this fuss makes the people complaining about them look like jokes too.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:11 PM

LIBBY CONVICTED OF LYING TO FBI

Libby was convicted of one count of obstruction of justice, two counts of perjury to the grand jury and one count of lying to the FBI about how he learned Plame's identity and whom he told. He was acquitted of another lying count.

Last I check, yes, these are crimes.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:15 PM

"House votes approval of two Articles of Impeachment against President Clinton."

"Two Articles of Impeachment against President Clinton fail to pass the House of Representatives."

Guess what. Both accurate. If NBC flashed the first, and then the second, and someone took a picture of just the second, would there be such a big deal?
Old 03-07-2007, 09:18 PM

Was Clinton impeached? Yes.
Was Libby convicted of lying to the FBI. Yes.

Please show any publication that says Clinton was not impeached.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Was Clinton impeached? Yes.
Was Libby convicted of lying to the FBI. Yes.

Please show any publication that says Clinton was not impeached.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was Libby acquitted of lying to the FBI? Yes. Unless you have a newsflash that he was convicted on all counts.

As pointed out, Fox was probably going through the counts.
Guilty of V.
Guilty of W.
Guilty of X.
Guilty of Y.
Not guilty of Z.

You have a screenshot of 'Not guilty of Z.'

And you are sounding just like O'Reily or Rush.