Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2007, 07:23 PM

Default A strange home game structure

PJ I'm not really sure where to post this. I'm posting it here because this is where all my live play questions go. If you want to move it go ahead.

So I get invited to a weekly home game a few weeks ago. Don't know much about players or the game, but I figure what the hey. Be nice to have a local game full of fish when I don't feel like making the two hour haul to AC. I heard it was SS but I figure it would be fun to donk around in.

So I sit in the game and the guys give me the heads up.
Preflop/Flop/Turn play exactly like a LHE 2/4 structure.
$1/$2 blinds etc. etc. However on the river the betting jumps up to a max bet of $25 which can be raised and re-raised I would assume til all-in (forgot to ask about any cap actually).

Now I'm curious about the best style for this structure. Are we playing loose or tight preflop. I'm assuming loose as there are these huge implied odds on the river. My other thought is that this structure removes the skill factor from the game. How do you cause your opponent to make TOP mistakes? There seems no way to manipulate the odds to make it incorrect for them to get to the river with any draw.

Do the big pair hands go down in value and suited connectors go up. Are we correct to call raises in position with those connectors and small PP. I don't think stack sizes matter too much unless we have a really short stacked player in which we obviously don't have additional implied odds.
I just started thinking about this today actually so I haven't put any math to the situation yet. See what you guys have to say.