Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2006, 10:12 PM

Default Re: Deep Live Hand Vs. Very Good-looking Man

did you get a picture of the dude? that's pretty important for this hand, imo.

As played fold. I might shove in the heat of the moment but fold is best.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this is a clear fold unless he is an absolute donk. The board is double suited and we have neither suit in our hand, so the chances he has the straight with a flush redraw is pretty decent. Not to mention that something like Q9 is definitely in his range and would be a standard flop call with a straight draw to the nuts and likely stacking a lower straight. His enourmous raise makes me think that he is specifically looking to get all in against a 9 here which he doesn't think will fold. It would be a really ballsy move with anything but a straight here, because he really shouldn't expect anybody to lay down a straight here regardless if you will or not. I'm not entirely sure of the equity you have for a split pot, but I would venture to say that it's not worth it to risk your entire stack on chopping a pretty small pot when you could very reasonably be drawing dead to a chop (3 outs) or be up against the same hand with a flush redraw which has 9 outs against you (up to 12 if he has something like K9).

I guess that might make you exploitable theoretically that he can make this move with the same hand as you and steal the pot, but that's pretty silly to even consider in a donkish live game. This is a fold, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

i like and agree with this analysis.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:45 PM

This is a pretty big overbet, and the pot is protected, since the donk is in the hand with you.

I've seen crazier bluffs, on occasion, but not often. You guys still have a lot behind, and you could easily be being freerolled, or drawing dead to a split vs the nuts.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:51 PM

OK, so here are some things.

As anyone who's met me in person would've known instantly, I was the Villain in this hand. A few of you got that.

Furthermore, I had the nuts; many of you got that. Sadly, 350 was not the raise I actually made. It was the raise I should've made, rather than the raise I did make. What raise did I make, you ask? Just a $1000 raise or so--brilliant. My thinking was, one of these guys has a straight, and it's live poker, so they're too dumb to fold it. Therefore, I'll put them all-in. So anyway, I shoved, and the bettor hemmed and hawed, before folding what was clearly a straight (I'm guessing his hand was T9, since he wasn't brave, and he bet the flop. The donk actually folded a straight-flush draw (64 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]), which mildly surprised me.

I'd seen the donk call a raise from a tight player on a QQT flop, then call 500 into a 150 pot all-in when a 9 hit the turn. His hand: AKo. This influenced me somewhat, and I just shoved, thinking, "He likes his hand enough to call 45, and the other guy just got here but seems pretty dumb as well. Maybe one of them will call." What makes this move so bad is that even if they are dumb enough to call an all-in with the 2nd nuts there, I can get them all-in by making a smaller raise on the turn, and betting the rest on the river (if I even have to). From the way the bettor agonized over folding to the all-in (~1100 to him), I can see that a raise to 350, while oversized, would've been irresistable.

I was hoping this thread would make me feel better, and all of you would go, "Fold obv," but there was enough disagreement that I can see this line would've worked; this bettor was much, much worse than the average MSNL poster.

So, in conclusion, I'm dumb, but at least I'm beautiful. A pic of me is at right. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2006, 12:00 AM

cero, id check the flop

I dont lay down here at all... you really think its Q9? or 9x w/ flush draw?

I would move my chips in the middle
Old 11-29-2006, 12:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Lookin' sharp.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OK, so here are some things.

As anyone who's met me in person would've known instantly, I was the Villain in this hand. A few of you got that.

Furthermore, I had the nuts; many of you got that. Sadly, 350 was not the raise I actually made. It was the raise I should've made, rather than the raise I did make. What raise did I make, you ask? Just a $1000 raise or so--brilliant. My thinking was, one of these guys has a straight, and it's live poker, so they're too dumb to fold it. Therefore, I'll put them all-in. So anyway, I shoved, and the bettor hemmed and hawed, before folding what was clearly a straight (I'm guessing his hand was T9, since he wasn't brave, and he bet the flop. The donk actually folded a straight-flush draw (64 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]), which mildly surprised me.

I'd seen the donk call a raise from a tight player on a QQT flop, then call 500 into a 150 pot all-in when a 9 hit the turn. His hand: AKo. This influenced me somewhat, and I just shoved, thinking, "He likes his hand enough to call 45, and the other guy just got here but seems pretty dumb as well. Maybe one of them will call." What makes this move so bad is that even if they are dumb enough to call an all-in with the 2nd nuts there, I can get them all-in by making a smaller raise on the turn, and betting the rest on the river (if I even have to). From the way the bettor agonized over folding to the all-in (~1100 to him), I can see that a raise to 350, while oversized, would've been irresistable.

I was hoping this thread would make me feel better, and all of you would go, "Fold obv," but there was enough disagreement that I can see this line would've worked; this bettor was much, much worse than the average MSNL poster.

So, in conclusion, I'm dumb, but at least I'm beautiful. A pic of me is at right. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think what you did was terrible, I've probably only got 30-40 hours of live experience but the play is so terrible that I'm sure you get instacall by a lot of players regardless of how deep you were. But the best way to maximize your winnings in this hand is a raise to 200-300 and then shoving any river (stack sizes will certainly mean they will be committed by calling that size raise).

Interesting hand though, Bobby I think you're very wrong here, and not to be results oriented but against any player with a clue you're usually being freerolled here or up against the nut straight.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:36 AM

Cero,

Did you get the guys number?
Old 11-29-2006, 01:39 PM

Hi A,
[ QUOTE ]
Cero,

Did you get the guys number?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not only did I get his number, I called him today (my friends said to wait 2 days). Turns out he's not just gorgeous; he's brilliant and hilarious, too! I feel like I've known him for 30 years...exactly 30 years.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:24 PM

I'm still trying to figure out how the hero bought in for $600, didn't play a hand for 15 hands, then completed in the SB with T9 and $1200 behind.

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]