Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2007, 11:27 AM

Default common confusing situation

I see this type of play often. when you are under the gun with a good hand(preety sure you are ahead) and check to the button to induce a bet, I see the utg flatt calls(x) and then bet the turn(y) instead of just raising the flop to the [flat calling the flop(x)+ amount of turn bet(y)] which is basically the same amount EVEN when no scare card comes of the turn. What is the purpose of this type of play, is it designed to confuse to opponent, makes no sence to me. If you flatt call the flop, arent't you planning to check the turn opp?
Old 10-29-2007, 12:05 PM

Default Re: common confusing situation

Ok I see you're point and I kind of agree. The problem is it makes you very predictable I'll try to give some examples. Say you have AJhh and you raise preflop, from comes Q74 hh, opponent checks you bet and they reraise. You may move in there and either take the pot from a pair/weak queen or be in a (almost) flip for the stack.
However if you have TT in villains situation, your opponent raises preflop and you call, flop comes Q74 hh you don't think your opponent has a queen then instead of c/ring the flop and when he shoves being forced to fold or call for a flip/drawing to 2 outs you can lead the blank turn and play your hand from there.
Yes it is to vary your play and to confuse opponents but also it's called playing more than one street poker. You see plenty of people just getting it all in preflop in tournaments or just getting it all in on the flop in cash games, but they're easier to play against than opponents that are constantly betting in all streets and aren't as predictable as others.

For example (a little OT) the hardest heads up players in my opinions are ones that quite often lead into you on the flop oop because most of the time everyones missing and it becomes a double bluff sort of game, you're starting to play the board and what your opponents ranges are instead of your own.

Say you have T9 and you raise preflop, flop comes J8x no suits, you lead and someone raises, its now tempting to shove. Imagine you're the villain in this hand and you don't think J8 is too likely to have helped your opponent, flat call flop bet lead turn how can your opponent call. Equally it encourages people to bluff/semi bluff allin against you.

Sometimes its correct to lead the turn also, say you have 33 and the flop comes Jh7h3c and you think your opponent may have a jack, may have an overpair may have nothing and then the turn brings a 9c. If you're not leading the turn on a semi-regular basis in pots then its obvious when you do lead this turn to most people that you at least have a jack imo.

Everyone is playing c/r poker nowadays that the ones that play b/3b or b/f poker and use c/r'ing sparingly but correctly to keep people in line are going to be the ones showing a profit imo.

Hope this helps, might well not.
AlcateL