Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2007, 05:36 PM

Default Re: My poker path... what now? (long)

AlfliRay,

As someone who has built up a roll into the mid-low six figures and lost a good chunk of it a few times now I feel your pain. Going on an extended downswing can shake your confidence, ruin your poker game and even sink you into acute depression. It’s the nature of the life we choose.
If I were you I’d take at least another week or two break from poker and let your head clear. I know what you are going trough. You want to win your money back. But you’re not playing you’re A game right now and will find it tough to play well at lower stakes (as you will be trying to win your money back). After the break I’d probably cash out at least half your roll and start grinding 2/4NL while making sure you are leading a very balanced well rounded life (as this will make you happier and help your poker game).
I know this is very painful but it’s the nature of the life we choose. Learn from your mistakes and look ahead. I’ve been in this spot more than once and have won all of money make and became a much better player and person due to these mistakes/downswings.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:46 PM

AlfilRay,
I get the idea from reading your post that you haven't played enough hands to have any idea what your real winrate/what games your +ev.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:48 PM

Could part of the problem be that he ran up his roll a year or two ago when the games were playing a lot different? Seems like he hasn't played much this year until mid-September and hasn't adjusted his game to the new style of play since UIGEA. Maybe rebuild your game at the lower stakes and see if you can win there before moving back up and playing 5/10+ again.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:46 PM

Thanks to everyone who posted a serious reply. I appreciate it.

Currently I´m inclined to take about $25,000 and start up at $2/4. Set an amount of buyins to make and stick at that limit until this is achieved. Continue to move up levels until I reach the level where I can sustain the highest long term hourly rate.

If I lose the $25,000, it will have meant one of two things:

1. I´ll have lost over 62 buyins at $2/4.
2. I´ll have tilted and moved up to higher limits, breaking a crucial condition of my plan.

In either case the only move that will make sense is to permanently quit poker.

Is this plan good? Is there a better course of action? (other than to play 300/600 HU vs sbrugby as kindly suggested)

Also, as for:

[ QUOTE ]
AlfilRay,
I get the idea from reading your post that you haven't played enough hands to have any idea what your real winrate/what games your +ev.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah there´s a fair bit of truth to that. However, someone commented on post-UIGEA. I don´t know to what extent that applies. I´m sure it´s had a negative effect, but I only play on European sites so it´s hopefully not as devastating to my winrate as it is to most American players.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Could part of the problem be that he ran up his roll a year or two ago when the games were playing a lot different? Seems like he hasn't played much this year until mid-September and hasn't adjusted his game to the new style of play since UIGEA. Maybe rebuild your game at the lower stakes and see if you can win there before moving back up and playing 5/10+ again.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't help but agree with this, the games are massively different from 1 yr ago
Old 10-07-2007, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Currently I´m inclined to take about $25,000 and start up at $2/4. Set an amount of buyins to make and stick at that limit until this is achieved. Continue to move up levels until I reach the level where I can sustain the highest long term hourly rate.

If I lose the $25,000, it will have meant one of two things:

1. I´ll have lost over 62 buyins at $2/4.
2. I´ll have tilted and moved up to higher limits, breaking a crucial condition of my plan.

In either case the only move that will make sense is to permanently quit poker.

Is this plan good?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a very solid plan given your history. Good luck.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:23 AM

graph plz
Old 10-08-2007, 03:58 PM

I'm not great at poker, but I am a financial advisor. Take whatever you aren't putting into your bankroll and put it into an account that where won't be able to touch the money for a while. Preferably something tax deferred. Since I don't know anything about European tax laws or retirement programs I don't have any suggestions other than to consult a financial advisor.

You will be very happy you did this when your 50+.

PS make sure you put it into an account where it HURTS if you have to remove it. That will remove most of the temptation to buy random junk you don't really need.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:55 PM

plan is good. stick to it and good luck.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:44 AM

Shortstacking obv