Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2007, 12:52 AM

Default Re: Official NE Patriots gogogogo to the SB thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I said in one of my reasons in the first pos that the only way I see Moss leaving is if a winning team like GB/Colts offered him a big contract.

[/ QUOTE ]

here's what you said:

[ QUOTE ]

The only chance that Moss leaves is if there is some drastic falling out between him and the Patriots which is highly doubtful. Excpect Moss to be re-signed to like a 3-4 year contract worth like 4-6 mil per year.

[/ QUOTE ]

after that you argued three or four times that if moss really cared about the money he would just wait it out in oakland, ignoring the fact that a huge year in NE would probably get him a bigger payday overall.

[ QUOTE ]

I never said it was the ONLY reason. However it is clearly by far the MAIN reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

You. have. no. way. of. knowing. this. at. all.

I'm sure it's nice to think that but athletes pull PR moves all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Next time you quote me, make sure to put the WHOLE quote.

The only chance that Moss leaves is if there is some drastic falling out between him and the Patriots which is highly doubtful or if another winning team like the Colts/Packers offers him like 10-15 mil per year and even then I expect him to take a paycut and stay here because he loves it so much. Excpect Moss to be re-signed to like a 3-4 year contract worth like 4-6 mil per year.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:57 AM

I can get behind some of that but I think you are still underestimating the business side of his decision. The Pats presented him with a perfect situation in which he could a) make more money and b) win. I would like to believe that a) and b) played equally in his decision but if anything I think a) was likely more influential. He is rich but money does get spent and Moss, like most athletes, has only a limited amount of time to accumulate the largest possible sum of money to support himself.

In the end, if the Pats offer him a reasonable deal, he will accept, in my opinion. But it is hopelessly naive to believe that money was a minor factor in his initial decision.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:01 AM

that wasn't in the post when i responded to it so i didn't see you had edited.

but regardless it's not the point, the main point is that you are a fool if you think you really know what is in randy's heart about money vs. winning, and your 4-6 per year estimate is borderline retarded. he has done nothing to prove that he didn't come to NE for the money - his actions fit perfectly well with someone looking to make a big FA score next season.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can get behind some of that but I think you are still underestimating the business side of his decision. The Pats presented him with a perfect situation in which he could a) make more money and b) win. I would like to believe that a) and b) played equally in his decision but if anything I think a) was likely more influential. He is rich but money does get spent and Moss, like most athletes, has only a limited amount of time to accumulate the largest possible sum of money to support himself.

In the end, if the Pats offer him a reasonable deal, he will accept, in my opinion. But it is hopelessly naive to believe that money was a minor factor in his initial decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a minor factor in his inital decision or else he would have finished out his year in Oakland, signed a 1 year contract with a team that he would have the best chance to blow up with, and then sign a huge contract. Of course Moss cares somewhat about the money, everyone does, but if you don't think his main reason by far is winning you are crazy.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
that wasn't in the post when i responded to it so i didn't see you had edited.

but regardless it's not the point, the main point is that you are a fool if you think you really know what is in randy's heart about money vs. winning, and your 4-6 per year estimate is borderline retarded. he has done nothing to prove that he didn't come to NE for the money - his actions fit perfectly well with someone looking to make a big FA score next season.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said I knew 100 percent for sure what his heart was. However if I am a fool for thinking that Moss cares more about winning than about the money, the people who think that Moss cares more about money than winning are 100000x more foolish than me.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

It was a minor factor in his inital decision or else he would have finished out his year in Oakland, signed a 1 year contract with a team that he would have the best chance to blow up with, and then sign a huge contract.

[/ QUOTE ]

he doesn't have an unlimited number of years left, and there is always an injury risk. you think he wants to risk blowing out an ACL in oakland and ending his career? by coming to NE now he avoids that risk plus sets himself up to sign a deal that will take him to retirement if he so chooses.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
However if I am a fool for thinking that Moss cares more about winning than about the money, the people who think that Moss cares more about money than winning are 100000x more foolish than me.

[/ QUOTE ]

so basically everyone with an opinion about moss' motives is a fool? nice
Old 11-21-2007, 01:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I never said I knew 100 percent for sure what his heart was.

[/ QUOTE ]

now you start qualifying your statements "i never said 100 percent." you said with absolute certainty about ten times in this thread dating back to the first few weeks of the season that moss loves it here, doesn't care about the money and took a huge pay cut. no 'i think he feels this way.'
Old 11-21-2007, 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a minor factor in his inital decision or else he would have finished out his year in Oakland, signed a 1 year contract with a team that he would have the best chance to blow up with, and then sign a huge contract. Of course Moss cares somewhat about the money, everyone does, but if you don't think his main reason by far is winning you are crazy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't mean to sound like a dick, but you are forgetting that he is getting on in years and the most important part of a NFL contract is the guaranteed money. Why would he wait a extra year when teams might be reluctant to give him more years or more guaranteed money? And besides, you are assuming he could have found a situation as perfect as New England. HOF bound QBs with elite O-lines and solid supporting casts aren't that common. It was the perfect storm but it should be clear that money was at least as important as winning, if not more so.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

It was a minor factor in his inital decision or else he would have finished out his year in Oakland, signed a 1 year contract with a team that he would have the best chance to blow up with, and then sign a huge contract.

[/ QUOTE ]

he doesn't have an unlimited number of years left, and there is always an injury risk. you think he wants to risk blowing out an ACL in oakland and ending his career? by coming to NE now he avoids that risk plus sets himself up to sign a deal that will take him to retirement if he so chooses.

[/ QUOTE ]

He already has a enough money to retire today. You forget he signed a 75 million dollar contract with the Vikings. NFL contracts aren't guarenteed anyway, only the signing bonus's are so even if he did blow out his ACL he wouldn't get the entire contract he signed for.

How does Moss avoid all risk by coming to New England? The chances of him blowing out an ACL here are the same this year if he had stayed in Oakland. All he has to worry about is the 1 year after that, and it's not like if Moss blew out his ACL in that year he wouldn't be set for life as is. And like I said, ACL injuries are very uncommon, especially if you limit the window to 1 year and not a career.

You also have to factor in the 7 mil that Moss GAVE UP this year into his contract for the next few years. So say Moss gained 15 mil more because of his break out season, he really only gained 8 because of the 7 mil he already gave up. And say Moss didn't have a great year in New England, and only got slightly more than he did had he stayed in Oakland, he would actually have lost money.