Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2007, 03:03 PM

Default Hard to quantify sports question

At lunch today there was sport fishing on the TV at the bar.

I've started spending a lot of time watching various forms of racing.

The common question here:

In sports like this (I think poker kinda counts) do we know how much of the seperation between normal humans, the good, and the excellent is actually innate skill?

How much of the difference between say... Kasey Khane and Tony Stewart is driven by the infrastructure (garage, pit, crew chief, car) that supports them and how much of that is just pure raw talent? If you give the avg guy off the street 5 years to learn, and similar support to Tony, how close do you get to his results?

For sport fishing, is anybody really just a flat better fisherman, or is it more about gear/training/luck?

I think we all realize that with enough study and practice, you can be a pretty solid winner in poker, but also that there's a few intangibles that end to push people into the super upper echelon of players.

What other sports are like this? Who here is an expert on these sports that can explain to the rest of us why we're right/wrong?
Old 08-01-2007, 05:34 PM

Default Re: Hard to quantify sports question

I hate both of these "sports" and I don't know much about them, but if I were a race fan, I would view it as a team sport. So I wouldn't be rooting just Tony Stewart, but for the entire Tony Stewart team. If you consider all that that involves, then the whole team put together is probably on a different level from the other teams, and it doesn't matter how much tallent one member of the team (the driver or anyone else) has.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:41 PM

Tony Stewart is a good racer as he has won at multiple levels driving different vehicles. Why is he so good, I have no clue. Perhaps he is able to control his heart rate and remain relaxed.

For a sport like fishing, it strikes me as a hobby that requires a lot of experience to be good at. Skill? Not sure, but surely experience. That could be one thing that seperates the really good from the average in sports or events that don't require a lot (if any athleticism). So basically if someone does nothing else in their life, or dedicates a ton of time to something like that, they can be good at it.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:42 PM

only partially meanigfull anecdote:

Ted Williams is one of the best hitters ever, he is in the Fishing Hall of Fame, and was reputed to be an elite fighter pilot. All of these (I think) require pretty superior hand/eye coordination and timing skills.

it's probably not an accident that he was so much better at these activities than almost everyone else...which leads me to believe that at the upper levels of competition, innate ability is very important.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tony Stewart is a good racer as he has won at multiple levels driving different vehicles. Why is he so good, I have no clue. Perhaps he is able to control his heart rate and remain relaxed.

[/ QUOTE ]

This would also explain why he ends up on the best teams .
Old 08-01-2007, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
only partially meanigfull anecdote:

Ted Williams is one of the best hitters ever, he is in the Fishing Hall of Fame, and was reputed to be an elite fighter pilot. All of these (I think) require pretty superior hand/eye coordination and timing skills.

it's probably not an accident that he was so much better at these activities than almost everyone else...which leads me to believe that at the upper levels of competition, innate ability is very important.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Ted Williams is the actual guy John Wayne played in all those movies." -- can't remember who said it, but one of my favorite quotes

Anyway, I think golf is a sport where coaching and practice practice practice are far more important than "talent." There are some really great golfers (Justin Leonard, Tim Herron, to name 2) who seem to have zero athletic talent and just grew up on the range. I would imagine this might be true for race car driving also, bowling, fishing, etc.

But in sports like basketball and baseball, I think size/athletic ability/"talent" is a far more important factor.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:29 PM

Race car drivers are less likely to have more far innate skill than the average human as compared to say, basketball players, because so many more people try the latter.

If everyone in the US wanted to be a NASCAR driver growing up and got the opportunity to try, the field would be totally different. In basketball, not so much - people have a much better idea of where they stand there.

Edit - I see that I didn't really respond to the question. Whoops.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:50 PM

Best way to measure driver talent vs. well supported in NASCAR that I can think of is to compare his success to his teammates since every major team is a multi car team. Obviously there are plenty of caveats, but it's a start.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:58 PM

Like he said, looking at teammates is a decent indicator. Joe Gibbs Racing has Denny Hamlin, Tony Stewart, and JJ Yeley. The first 2 have been consistently good, while JJ sucks ass. Also, the car JJ drives used to kick ass with Bobby Labonte, so that's another indication that the drivers play a much larger role than most give them credit for.

Another note, is JJ Yeley sucks for calling himself JJ when the dude's name is Chris Beltram Hernandez Yeley. Die.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Anyway, I think golf is a sport where coaching and practice practice practice are far more important than "talent." There are some really great golfers (Justin Leonard, Tim Herron, to name 2) who seem to have zero athletic talent and just grew up on the range.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know anything about those guys but I disagree with the idea that golf somehow takes less talent and relies more on other stuff than other sports.
I could practice golf 15 hours a day every single day with the very best instructors ever and I would still have absolutely zero chance of being even remotely competitive even at whatever level is 1 or 2 notches lower than the PGA level.
Same goes for most golfers imo.

I don't see what the fact of them being good from having grown-up at the course has to do with anything.
Lots of people who 'grew up' at the ball-field or in the ice-rink or at the basketball-court or whatever end up being good at that sport.
Lots of people don't too of course.

FWIW - I had my first set of golf-clubs when I was 6 or 7 or so and I am still the world's worst golfer no matter how hard I tried to not completely suck.

Also, I don't know anything about NASCAR or fishing.
But regarding NASCAR, I'm pretty sure Stewart would end up holding his own decently even with a different team and that some other drivers would not do so great given Stewart's team.
Not unlike how Peyton Manning would still be a good QB on a different team.