Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2007, 09:31 AM

Default AKoff Question

the situation:

Your in mid position with AKoff. early in 9 man sit and go early position raises 4x BB do u call or reraise?
Old 10-04-2007, 10:10 AM

Default Re: AKoff Question

read, stacks, blinds, etc. are all important. How good your opponent is is also important. If their better then definately re-raise, possibly shove. Even this depends on other factors though.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:37 PM

Since it's an SNG you probably have limited information about the player. I've gotten burned calling in this spot too many times. I would strongly consider raising, this way no one behind you can call (or if they do you better slow down) and it also lets you know if you're ahead of the original raiser. Subjecting yourself to check-calling before you even see a flop is a pretty poor situation.
If he's got you beat he'll come back then it's an easy fold, if he calls you know you're in some trouble. He MIGHT have just called with QQ, but that's a pretty far reach.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:55 PM

Well what you do often depends on that particular opponent who made the initial raise . What may be correct against one opponent may be incorrect against another .

Here are some things to help you make your decisions :

1) If your opponent is spewy postflop , then you should lean towards smooth calling in position . This is especially true if he has a large stack in front of him .

2) If your opponent plays tight postflop , then you should be more inclined to re-raise and isolate .

3) How the players behind you will react is also very important in your decision . If you expect to be called with many worse hands behind you , then there is another incentive to smooth call .

4)If your opponent is likely to call your re-raise with a wide range of hands , then there is more incentive to re-raise .

These are some of the more significant reasons for your decision making process and you really do have to weigh them each individually and go with your gut .
Old 10-05-2007, 10:07 PM

Assuming that we have no read on the information that you have not provided (no sharkoscope, no range, a mid to low buy-in for the sng) then we are in the dark and I like a call. If there is evidence that he is weak tight or loose passive, I would put in a pot sized reraise. Reraising gives us a lot of information if a 3rd player enters the pot.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:10 AM

I'd much rather fold than reraise.

Call is best.