Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2007, 03:57 AM

Default Where to go from here?

I have been playing live poker for about 7 months now. I'm still terrible. I play $3/$6 limit cash games and consistently lose $60 to $100 a session. I do well in the $10 single table tourneys but have made only 1 final table in the $30 to $60 140-150 player tourneys in about 20 something attemps. I do, however, consistanly finsh in the top half of the field in the MTTs.

I have scanned through four books. My question is which one should I focus on first? The four books I currently own: <ul type="square">[*]Caro's Book of Poker Tells[*]Small Stakes Hold 'em: Winning Big With Expert Play by Ed Miller[*]The Theory of Poker by David Sklansky[*]Harrington on Hold 'em Expert Strategy for No Limit Tournaments, Vol. 1: Strategic Play[/list]
Or is there another one I should start with?
Old 01-02-2007, 05:41 AM

Default Re: Where to go from here?

You're a live player, so Small Stakes Hold 'em is by far the best place to start. 3/6 live games are exactly what the book is about.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:32 PM

first you should read sshe then the top... this is an exellent book about the theory thatīs behind all of the poker games...
if you play 3/6 limit I wouldnīt play tourney for a 30 dollar buy in... chances are you are not good enough
Old 01-02-2007, 05:46 PM

might want to start with the Miller book, TOP and HOH are brilliant, but you may need a basic foundation before being able to apply them. Caro's book is good, but if that's the first book you read you will probably put an over-emphasis on reading tells.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:51 PM

SSHE is perfect for 3/6 live games, but it is designed for cash games, not tournaments. I suggest reading it and playing some cash games.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:41 AM

Play online. You will play far more hands and as a result learn much more quickly.
Harrigton volume 1 &amp; 2 are very good books to begin with even on cash game (vol. 1). When you have a good understanding of them buy "No Limit Holdem theory and practice" by Sklansky and Miller.
And I never read anything better since then.