Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2007, 02:08 AM

Default 3/6 Live - - TPTK CR\'d on Turn

This is my first post.

I'm in a very loose 3-6 live game (usu. 6+ players to the flop). Game is 8-handed.

Hero is CO with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. All players call for $3. Hero raises to $6. Button folds, both blinds call. (12 small bets after exorbitant rake)

Flop is A37 rainbow. Checked to UTG who bets. All fold to hero who raises. SB folds, BB calls two cold, UTG calls. (9 big bets)

UTG is a maniac. BB recently sat down (w/in 5 min) - - don't have any read on him.

Turn is a 4. All four cards of a different suit. Checked to hero who bets. BB check-raises. UTG calls two cold. Hero calls.

BB bets in the dark before the river card is revealed.

River is a K. UTG folds. Hero raises. BB re-raises. Hero calls.

How did I play this? I feel good about the turn call. I thought BB could easily have two pair which gave me a few outs with a huge pot. However, raising on the river after BB bet in the dark is troubling me.

Any feedback is appreciated. This is my first post, so I apologize if I have not posted properly. Thanks.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:30 AM

Default Re: 3/6 Live - - TPTK CR\'d on Turn

You probably should have stopped the action on your river raise as to not influence the responses.

Anyhow, I think the river is close and the rest of the streets are fine. I think I want to just call the river because the turn did make a straight for 52 and 65 and BB's bet in the dark makes it less likely that he has a hand like 43 because he apparently isn't too worried about the board pairing.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:05 AM

One reason you called the turn c/r was to see if your hand noticeably improves on the river. The King was, imo, the best card you could've hoped for, so I don't see any problem raising river - esp. after dark bet. The only hands that beat you are AA, 33, 77, 44, 25, 56. You're probably good on the river MOST of the time, albeit maybe not here. Well played...
Old 08-12-2007, 02:02 PM

In this game and with this many people in the pot pf, BB's range can be huge.

I am assuming blackasthma is correct and only AA, 33, 77, 44, 25, 56 can beat you (I am going to ignore the river card as Villain's actions are not based on it), that is 42 combos that beat top two pair.

Villain's possible two pair hands are A7,A4,A3,74,73,43, which is 45 combos. He may even have a hand such as AQ which would be 8 combos. I also think that some of these 53 combos would have to be weighted because they are less likely, as Niediam pointed out.

Without being weighted, we are good here 53/95 = 56% of the time. If we dump the AQ combo, we are good 45/87 = 48% of the time. We need to correctly estimate that our hand will win 67% of the time for the river raise to have value unless we can fold with great certainty to a 3-bet.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:44 PM

you played it fine.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:53 PM

BB cold calling two bets on the flop and CRing the turn (on a fairly innocuous card) screams flopped set to me. Many 3-6 players lack creativity, and that betting pattern, at least in my experience in the low-limit trenches, is generally trouble.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cap it for value.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cap it for value.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yuck. When villian raises I expect to be beat (but of course am calling because of the size of the pot).
Old 08-13-2007, 01:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cap it for value.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is horrid.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:18 AM

I think I donked it a bit on the river. But I guess it was close. About an hour before this hand, the table turned from chatty and light-hearted (as usual at my local card club) to hostile. At this point, I found it somewhat comical but mostly annoying to watch the tards berate each other's play. My annoyance at the situation likely affected my river play. I appreciate your feedback and plan to post more hands (and hopefully offer some advice of my own as I continue my studies). I'll make sure to cut the description short next time to avoid tainting any responses, as Niediam suggested. Thanks guys!