Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2007, 11:37 AM

Default Final table live, how\'s this call?

Final table of a live tournament. There are 6 players left and only 4 make money. I am in the CO with 13,900. The button (avg. stack), SB (big chip leader), & BB (avg. stack) are all very tight with the chip leader being SUPER tight. Blinds 1000/2000, the short stack of 12,600 pushes all-in from UTG. Fold to me in CO and I call with 99. I’ll admit to being a little frustrated as I had only seen about 3 good hands in the last 4 hours and got no action. It is a poker god miracle that I was still in this one (bluff resteal, lucky flops with junk cards, suck outs, etc.) but I’m more interested in the call. First in, I push 99 all day in this spot. Good call or try to get it in first somewhere else?
Old 07-30-2007, 11:39 AM

Default Re: Final table live, how\'s this call?

with M=4,5 you wont see many better spots
i think you are in front of villains range and with your stack you have to gamble

so good call for me
Old 07-30-2007, 12:36 PM

Ill take this shot to try and double up and eliminate a player. As levAA says you cant wait around and hope for a much better spot than this. The fact that you posted this makes me think it probably didnt work out for you, but with your stack this shallow you dont have much choice.
I concur, good call
Old 07-30-2007, 12:54 PM

I would have called here in a second. He is UTG and has like 6 BB's, so IMO is most likely trying to take it down. His range is very wide, pretty much any 1 face card with a half decent kicker, maybe worse. I would call here all day. Also, the fact that you were so close to the bubble enhances my decision.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:08 PM

I make a Hellmuth-esque instacall.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:53 PM

This is a ridiculously standard all-in. Just being told that this is a shove will not accelerate your game. The fact that you are even posting this question is a very bad sign and shows you have a long way to go on your analysis of hands. Thankfully, you have come to the right place.

1) Download pokerstove at www.pokerstove.com (it is a free equity calculator where you can compare your hand against potential hand ranges of one or more players)

2) Figure out what the UTG's shoving range is with his short stack (hint, if he was good it would be close to any 2 cards.)

3) Input 99 against his hand range and figure out what your equity in the pot is.

4) Figure out how much equity you need to call given the dead money in the pot from blinds and antes.

5) Come back here with any questions and the posters will be happy to help.

After you learn about hand ranges and pot equity you will be able to move on to the more advanced concept of ICM calculations which are highly significant on the tournament bubble of a tournament with such a small field.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:03 PM

Cornell, thanks for the pointed feedback. The question was how do you like the CALL? First in, I push all day with 99. Having played with this guy for several hours, I thought his range was much smaller that ATC. I should have included that. I put him on AT+, KJ+, 88+. I had only seen premium hands from him all night, and he had folded to me on many occasions when I was sure he had the better, but not the best hand, if that makes sense. I'm not saying that his style is correct or that my read was good, but that's what I thought his range was. Was the call still mathematically correct?

I analyze my winner's and loser's. Not that it matter's, but happened to win this one. I had to suck out (again) to do it as he tabled pocket Q's.

Cheers.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:09 PM

That would be Chris Moneymaker instasucka 9 out to beat an overpair.

Nice play.

:P
Old 07-30-2007, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cornell, thanks for the pointed feedback. The question was how do you like the CALL? First in, I push all day with 99. Having played with this guy for several hours, I thought his range was much smaller that ATC. I should have included that. I put him on AT+, KJ+, 88+. I had only seen premium hands from him all night, and he had folded to me on many occasions when I was sure he had the better, but not the best hand, if that makes sense. I'm not saying that his style is correct or that my read was good, but that's what I thought his range was. Was the call still mathematically correct?

I analyze my winner's and loser's. Not that it matter's, but happened to win this one. I had to suck out (again) to do it as he tabled pocket Q's.

Cheers.

[/ QUOTE ]

"The question was how do you like the CALL?" In case my last post was unclear the call is elementary, standard, basic, nothing else you could do, automatic, easy, ridiculously easy, obvious... I like it.

More importantly... do you really think that he would open shove KJo but fold 55? You think he would shove KJo but fold A3? Seems like a really weird range but I will take your word for it. (and by 'I'll take your word for it' I am saying that your range makes no sense but it was your live read and it is not worth debating the fact that no one shoves KJo and folds A7s or 44)

If you want to know if it was mathematically a correct call then pokerstove his range vs your 99 and come back to us and let us know if it was mathematically correct. After you analyze many hands against standard ranges you will not need to use the software any more but if you are coming to us and asking if your call was mathematically correct then you desperately need to calculate your hand against his range.

I await your post where you state what your 99 was against his range.

Steve
Old 07-30-2007, 05:47 PM

I'm going to disagree a little with Cornell here.I don't think it's an instacall.I play mostly live,and live is sooo different from online in these situations.I would really like to know the buy in here,bc I think that matters.

If this is a low buyin tourney,$50ish,that range,most of the players aren't that good,and they are,especially at this stage of the tournament,way way tight. The fact that he tabled a big pair here doesn't surprise me at all.Of course it is read dependent,and I'm not saying that everyone plays like this,but from what OP mentioned about some of the other players,I'd say that villains range here actually is much tighter that OP said.

Online,istainstacall,but live,and again,it totally depends on the table,I dunno.....

And yeah(sheepish gin) Cornell,I know that you are saying use ps and figure out if it's a good call or not. I know...I was just trying to tell OP,and everyone else for that matter,that some live tourneys play so tight at this stage,it is important to consider that when he sets his range.Just my 2c I guess.....