Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2007, 07:06 PM

Default Re: NLTRN: Situations where you do not continuation bet

I don't cbet all the time unlss my opponent is pretty weak. I do not like to cbet with air more than a couple times in a row because a lot of times people will start c-raising you or just calling you down with anything and you're stuck with A high the next 2 streets and have no idea if they are trying to get you to bet their hand for them or if they are floating with Q9 high or if they have a draw or what. It's great however when you've cbet with air twice in a row and then the next two raising hands you get you hit top pair or better both times. They will start to think you are full of [censored]. Going back to my original statement, I don't cbet that much with air because people in the 5's and 10's like to call a lot and I have no clue where I am. Obviously I will cbet any piece that I may catch. Also, unless your opponent has no clue whatsoever (even really moronic opponents will figure out that you always check-fold when you have nothing and bet when you have something), I will c-bet with air against opponents that I wouldn't normally because of the factors I listed above (c-raiser, calling station, etc).

All IMHO.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not saying I don't call in that situation, I'm just saying you should be a little more specific with your examples so people don't take you the wrong way.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I was a good teacher, I would charge moneys. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Somekid, the read is that our opponent is a c/r ai bluff monkey. By "read," I don't mean that I just blew off 600 chips c-betting to figure this out. I hope that I am correct in this situation. That is really the best I can do: make a read and go with it. Tmc makes a point that sometimes you feel like an idiot, and other times you feel like Phil Ivey. "Don't be afraid to fail" is the best advice I could ever give to anyone playing poker.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:57 PM

I tend to cbet most of the time, especially when i flop, top pair, a medium strength hand like middle pair, or if i flop a nice draw i would bet the flop to build the pot.

When i do not or might not cbet sometimes :

1) If the board texture is scary and didnt help my hand in any way.

i.e : i hold 33 and the flop is 7d8cJd..

2)On boards that are heavily connected with multiple draws ( straight draws, flush draws) on these flops we have almost zero fold equity and we really cant put villain on a specific hand/draw..

3)When i flop a monster ( on a board that almost def. didnt hit my opponent) or a strong hand..

If we have AT, or KT on a flop of 5A5 or 5K5 then i might consider not cbetting, since our hand is so strong that he might not be able to catch on whatever he might hit on both the turn and river, id let him take the free card hoping to extract value out of him later on..

4) If i hold a hand that has decent backdoor draws or a gutshot straight draw in which taking a free turn card will help me re-evaluate my position.

As a concept mixing it up is def. a good strategy, but it is really dependant alot on our hand and the board..
Old 11-17-2007, 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i hold 33 and the flop is 7d8cJd.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you raise before the flop with this hand if you are only looking for set value?
Old 11-17-2007, 08:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i hold 33 and the flop is 7d8cJd.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you raise before the flop with this hand if you are only looking for set value?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. How would you go about playing a hand that is difficult to play on 90% of flops?
Old 11-17-2007, 08:28 PM

id usually be raising 33 to 3xbb when the stacks are 50 or 75 bb which makes playing it for set value "almost correct",

I would c-bet on a A 9 4 flop , just not a very coordinated/draw heavy board.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:49 PM

Altought that's very situational, I don't think c-beting with other than air is even considered to be a c-bet. IMO you should c-bet specifically with air, just because if your opponent calls you're pretty much done with the hand, no regrets. If that means you'll bet a scary board or a dry one, do what you have to do to make him to fold. Obv with a str8ish board a better line sometimes is to check behind the flop & raise his turn lead... anyway. phatjeffrey said he's c-bet'ing mostly dry boards which IMO has 2 nuances: 1. you're subject of floatings more often; 2. those usually are WA-WB situations, make easier to fold if called.

Curious to see what chicagory & Tnixon have to say
Old 11-17-2007, 11:33 PM

IDK if there is some official definition for c-betting, but the term is called "continuation betting" because your continuing your preflop action. I don't think this any implications of whether you have a hand although most people seem to take it to mean that a c-bet is always made with air. This attitude doesn't really make sense to me.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IDK if there is some official definition for c-betting, but the term is called "continuation betting" because your continuing your preflop action. I don't think this any implications of whether you have a hand although most people seem to take it to mean that a c-bet is always made with air. This attitude doesn't really make sense to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well this doesn't matter too much. I just called for the definition b/c my point have to do with it.

Anyway u prolly right c-bet is to continue PF action regardless of holdings.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:57 PM

yeah a continuation bet is a continuation bet regardless of holdings. no doubt.