Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 10:50 PM

Default Re: Complete loss of sex drive because of antidepressants...

[ QUOTE ]
I am currently on Paxil CR for depression and social anxiety disorder, and the sexual side effects lasted about two weeks and then I was fine. Some other side effects come and go(especially now since I upped my dose).

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. I was on Paxil (but I'm much better, now ...), and had similar problems, mostly with finishing.

I liked that the panick attacks disappeared, but hated the time I was on it.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting catch 22...because if I lost my sex drive I would really need the anti-depressants.

[/ QUOTE ]

so true, great point.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:37 AM

I'm pretty sure the reason we see so many responses from people who've taken anti-depressants is because they have the strongest opinions on the subject - not that a huge portion of 2p2 users are on them.

I've been on a dozen anti-depressants and mood stabilizers over my life. The last one I was on was Lexapro, which gave me sexual problems like you mentioned. Ever since then, even months after discontinuing usage, it's become difficult to sustain an erection - but not even close to as difficult as when on Lexapro.

I haven't had health care since January and just started a new job with a successful company. My benefits (with a decent health plan) don't begin until February. So basically I'm putting off taking care of myself until then. I'm in enough debt as is. I probably need to go back on some form of meds and god I hope Lexapro didn't manage to permanently make it more difficult for me to sustain erections - I hope it's only psychological.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:55 AM

What is with the cutting yourself? I thought that was a chick thing.
You seem to have two choices. Keep taking the anti-depressants and give up orgasms. Or, give up the anti-depressants, embrace your emotional downswings and find some hot dysfunctional broad who digs depressed guys and blow a Peter North sized load on her.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting catch 22...because if I lost my sex drive I would really need the anti-depressants.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another Catch-22 way of looking at it: a side-effect of the medication is a symptom of the very same disease the medication is treating.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:30 PM

Actual, real-life clinical psychologist here. Gina's posts were essentially correct. Other antidepressants, even other SSRIs may have a lesser effect. Loss of libido, difficulty sustaining erection or difficulty having an orgasm are all very common side effects of many antidepressants. For most, the sexual side effects are not as bad as the depression, but this certainly should be explored further with your psychiatrist, and please see a psychiatrist rather than a PCP. There may be other med options that will effectively treat your depression, but allow a greater degree of sexual functioning.

And I'd recommend printing out info for your GF, to help her understand the sexual problems you are having. Depending on the seriousness of the relationship, consider bringing her along to a counseling session or two (assuming you are also in therapy). Sexual problems have a way of becoming bigger over time, and overlapping into other areas, so they should be addressed. Some people in your situation begin avoiding sex, which only makes the relationship problem worse.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure the reason we see so many responses from people who've taken anti-depressants is because they have the strongest opinions on the subject - not that a huge portion of 2p2 users are on them.

I've been on a dozen anti-depressants and mood stabilizers over my life. The last one I was on was Lexapro, which gave me sexual problems like you mentioned. Ever since then, even months after discontinuing usage, it's become difficult to sustain an erection - but not even close to as difficult as when on Lexapro.

I haven't had health care since January and just started a new job with a successful company. My benefits (with a decent health plan) don't begin until February. So basically I'm putting off taking care of myself until then. I'm in enough debt as is. I probably need to go back on some form of meds and god I hope Lexapro didn't manage to permanently make it more difficult for me to sustain erections - I hope it's only psychological.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is my understanding, and my experience from patients I've treated, that sexual functioning returns after the SSRI washes out of the system. I don't know your situation, of course, but I would be very surprised to hear of sexual dysfunction as a continuing side effect of Lexapro this long after discontinuation. In fact, I've never heard of this before (not to say that it can't happen).

As an aside, loss of sexual functioning is worth checking out with your MD.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:31 PM

I've also had sexual problems from a couple other SSRIs in the past, but I forget which ones, and the problems went away after tapering myself off them.

I heard if you still get morning wood, you don't have erectile dysfunction at least. So that's good! I still get that!

I know I should get it checked out, but my wallet is hurting bad and I'm in enough debt as is. I also cannot get accepted on any health plans because of "pre-existing conditions" (a history of depression, anxiety, and psychiatric treatment) - stupid american health care crap. I used to be on my dad's company's health plan, but after a certain age (22 or 23) I had to get my own health coverage. Right now my only chance of getting health coverage again is through company benefits.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is with the cutting yourself? I thought that was a chick thing.
You seem to have two choices. Keep taking the anti-depressants and give up orgasms. Or, give up the anti-depressants, embrace your emotional downswings and find some hot dysfunctional broad who digs depressed guys and blow a Peter North sized load on her.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm also a guy who used to cut himself in his teenage years. For me it was a way to calm myself when I got ridiculously anxious for no good reason. And I also did it when I was feeling depressed - not to kill myself, but to feel something different than depressed. It's not a good coping mechanism obviously.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:36 PM

Wow, you lucky bastard. What are you complaining about? Now you can actually maintain focus on important things and get something done with your life!