Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2007, 07:14 PM

Default Re: OT: Holy [censored], I\'m Getting Married!

Don't worry about getting to drunk. You'll be too busy to keep a regular drink in your hand.

The first year is the hardest and it gets better every year. No one ever talks about it, but it is also the most common year for a divorce. If things get difficult, just remember that it happens to everyone and you'll work through it eventually.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:23 PM

Congrats! I've been married for a little more than 3 months now... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

GL!
Old 10-04-2007, 07:38 PM

Big Congrats Bro!!!!!!!!
Old 10-04-2007, 08:27 PM

sorry to hear it man =( condolences
Old 10-04-2007, 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The actual wedding reception is going to rush by. You're probably not going to remember most of it. Pick a moment where you just step back and take it all in because otherwise it will be over before you know it and you won't remember anything except saying hello and goodbye to everyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

This advice is spot on. You'll be super busy, no doubt. Try and enjoy the moments/day, and soak it all in.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:20 PM

Congrats! The wedding/reception/the next five years are going to come and go faster than you thought possible. I'm 28, been married 6 years this Saturday, and our first child is 3.5 months old.

Here's the best advice I can give. Enjoy the wedding and try to stay in the moment. It's over in a hurry and I was in a daze through most of mine. I should have concentrated more and not let my mind wander.

Do not get stupid drunk at the reception. It's a lot more fun to get stupid drunk at your best friend's reception than your own. Thankfully I followed the advice of said best friend and didn't drink at my reception.

Finally, if you're planning on having kids right away, wait. My wife and I dated since our senior year in HS, she wanted kids as soon as we got married. I wanted to wait a few years. We agreed to do that, and it took a few more to have a child. Looking back, my wife cherishes the time we had alone and it really allowed us to get to know each other.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:37 PM

Congratulations! Mazel Tov! etc

Old guy here, married 8+ years...

[ QUOTE ]
You will from time to time find yourself in a fight that makes no sense at all but where you find yourself enraged beyond all reason. It will happen, it doesn't matter how much you love each other or how laid back and non-comabtive the two of you may be. Maybe you're an ass, maybe she's unreasonable, maybe a squirrel got in the effin dryer -- whatever.

Two things when that happens. Despite the fact that you're so angry you're really losing control of yourself, have enough self possession not to say anything that's over the line even if she is saying that kind of thing to you. You'll know what's over the line. You won't be able to take that back later, and even when you're all lovey dovey again, she'll remember those words. Second, when the fight is over, let it go as fast as possible - don't seeth, don't restart the fight, get over the need to be "right". Ask yourself if you enjoy being angry or enjoy having the woman that you love in your arms more.

Also, more generally, women really like to be listened to. Not all the time, necessarily, but at least occaisionally, really listen to her, give her your complete and undivided, uncritical attention.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes this is gold.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:57 AM

Congrats dude.

I'm 32...married for 3.5 years and have a 9 month old son.

Some advice:

1. Drink lots of water during the reception. You'll end up dehydrated otherwise, especially if it's humid. It happened to me and I had the worst headache of my life afterwards.

2. Remember that you're committing to someone for the long-term, and that long-term love is different than short-term. If life, when you act, think about how you'll feel about what you are doing when you look back in 5 minutes, 5 years and 50 years.

3. She's not perfect. Neither are you. Love her strengths and accept her faults. It's what makes her who she is. If she was perfect she wouldn't be with you. Not an insult, but she just wouldn't need a partner and that's better than having just another girl.

4. Always be respectful. She's a person too with feelings, thoughts, and aspirations.

5. If she violates any of the rules above, let her know and explain their importance to you. If she does something that irks you, just f**ing talk about it. Don't let anger fester.

6. In 6-12 months it's gonna hit you that you are never having sex with another woman. Damn that really sucks. It's ok to feel some regret. Especially when some pretty young thing comes around and makes you think that she's interested. Just remember that you have a life partner.

7. Check out High Fidelity (the book or the movie, both were good).

8. Def wait a few years to have a kid. Having my son is the best thing that ever happened to me. But it's all consuming. You are 24 and you guys should enjoy the things in life that require less attachments, like travel, spending money, etc. When it happens though, life becomes so much more meaningful.

Good luck.

Where in NY are you getting married btw? I got married on Long Island, at the Port Jefferson Country Club.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:17 AM
 is offline

No idea how to not have the pic be jumbo-sized, but nevertheless, here we are. (I'm the one in the red shirt)

Wedding pics to come after the honeymoon [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-05-2007, 01:19 AM
 is offline

[ QUOTE ]
Where in NY are you getting married btw? I got married on Long Island, at the Port Jefferson Country Club.

[/ QUOTE ]

We're getting married at Tavern on the Green in Central Park.

I'm from Long Island, but I've never been out to the Port Jeff Country Club. Long Island weddings are so nice though, and we were very close to going down that route ourselves.