Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2007, 04:52 PM

Default Re: The Poker Tournament Formula: The Conclusion

I think most of you have it worng. Mr Snyder wrote the book for " fast LIVE MTT's." In his forums he has stated a million times that he does not play on the internet and the book was not written for the internet.He puts tournaments into skill levels based on speed. At skill Level 4 ( which would be WSOP/WPT, or other slower tournaments )he say's that his style would not work at these levels because there is " better players" and it is a slower structure. You have to take the book for what is worth and that is fast live mtt's. He plays in Vegas and explains the people he play's against everyday. It is a great book, but you can't compare it to HOH because they are for different structures. The position strategy alone is worth the price of the book. I beileve Annette won a 180 person tournament using a version of the position strategy. I won a 45 person MTT using his strategy position.
Paid $20 for book
Won $87 using just position strategy
Profit $67

P.s. I do not state that i know every little detail about the game of poker, but I think Mr Snyder wrote a great book if you understand what he wrote the book about.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think most of you have it worng. Mr Snyder wrote the book for " fast LIVE MTT's." In his forums he has stated a million times that he does not play on the internet and the book was not written for the internet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then why on earth does he offer an Internet Conversion Chart in his book? If he had no intention on it being used for internet play, he NEVER made mention of that in the book or on the outside of the book. Any person perusing a bookstore might see the book and would then "misleadingly" according to you, attempt to apply it in futility to interet tournaments. This person might mistakenly think he was playing well when in fact he was playing quite poorly.

Had Snyder made mention that he never tested his strategies online or indicated that his book was only intended for live MTTs, it might have made his book 1) better and 2) clearer.

Sherman
Old 10-02-2007, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Then why on earth does he offer an Internet Conversion Chart in his book? If he had no intention on it being used for internet play, he NEVER made mention of that in the book or on the outside of the book. Any person perusing a bookstore might see the book and would then "misleadingly" according to you, attempt to apply it in futility to interet tournaments. This person might mistakenly think he was playing well when in fact he was playing quite poorly.

Had Snyder made mention that he never tested his strategies online or indicated that his book was only intended for live MTTs, it might have made his book 1) better and 2) clearer.

Sherman

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't look it up in the book, but I think he mentions that many of the top sites' structures are actually quite slow/patient, due to the more hands per hour.

I remember inputting some structures into the Excel download on his site, and indeed some of the online tournaments allow for more standard play. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Would be interesting to try the PTF strategies in one of those 180-man turbo SNG's, although I think most turbos end up being crapshoots.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think most of you have it worng. Mr Snyder wrote the book for " fast LIVE MTT's." In his forums he has stated a million times that he does not play on the internet and the book was not written for the internet.He puts tournaments into skill levels based on speed. At skill Level 4 ( which would be WSOP/WPT, or other slower tournaments )he say's that his style would not work at these levels because there is " better players" and it is a slower structure. You have to take the book for what is worth and that is fast live mtt's. He plays in Vegas and explains the people he play's against everyday. It is a great book, but you can't compare it to HOH because they are for different structures. The position strategy alone is worth the price of the book. I beileve Annette won a 180 person tournament using a version of the position strategy. I won a 45 person MTT using his strategy position.
Paid $20 for book
Won $87 using just position strategy
Profit $67

P.s. I do not state that i know every little detail about the game of poker, but I think Mr Snyder wrote a great book if you understand what he wrote the book about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Before I read his book, I read all the threads related to it here and all the articles on his website. I have not read much in his forums due to a lack of time.

He implies in his book that it's for fast tourneys, whether live or online. You say he stated on his forum that he does not play online, but does he state anywhere that his strategy is only for live play?

He also says in his book that the strategy can be used in medium tourneys (which many of the popular online tourneys are structured) just by raising 80% where normally you would raise 100%.

Perhaps the strategy works for the live fast tourneys he plays in Vegas. I've had marginal results attempting his strategy in the low buy-in online MTT's I play in. I don't see many "wimps" like he describes in his book.