Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2007, 12:27 AM

Default Windows Vista Re-Install

I just got a new Dell laptop with Windows vista premium.

Would it be worth it to a reinstall on this comp.?

If so, do you know of any links that show instructions on how to do this?

Thanks alot
Old 05-25-2007, 01:54 AM

Default Re: Windows Vista Re-Install

Reinstall with what? XP?

Personally I really really like Vista. I've been using it for a few months and I've fully switched from XP. There are a few bugs but not many that would effect every day users.

If you are talking about reinstalling with XP, I'd give Vista a try and see how you like it. See if all of your commonly used programs, printers, etc work ok. If so.....I'd leave it be. Vista is pretty darn nice and very fast.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Reinstall with what? XP?

Personally I really really like Vista. I've been using it for a few months and I've fully switched from XP. There are a few bugs but not many that would effect every day users.

If you are talking about reinstalling with XP, I'd give Vista a try and see how you like it. See if all of your commonly used programs, printers, etc work ok. If so.....I'd leave it be. Vista is pretty darn nice and very fast.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reinstall with the same Vista, but without all the unnecessary bloatware that Dell preinstalls on the comp (that maybe affects performance?).

Wondering if it's worth it to do this, since I'm a newbie.

Thanks
Old 05-25-2007, 07:55 AM

Probably easier to just go into add/remove programs and get rid of everything you don't want.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:48 AM

Ok now I know what you are trying to do.....

I agree with Kerowo. There shouldn't be so much junk that a reinstall is needed. If you can get the free trial version of Norton or McAfee uninstalled you've already won over half the battle.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Reinstall with the same Vista, but without all the unnecessary bloatware that Dell preinstalls on the comp (that maybe affects performance?).

[/ QUOTE ]
lol; separating bloat from windows is like trying to get the ice out of an ice cube.
Old 05-26-2007, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
lol; separating bloat from windows is like trying to get the ice out of an ice cube.

[/ QUOTE ]

Care to back that up with examples?
Old 05-26-2007, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Care to back that up with examples?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, you caught me. I mean the past 20 years of windows/MS coding has never been discussed anywhere before so I guess this is really just a rumor.

Seriously, if you want to dig into this sort of thing get your own examples; but have plenty of sandwiches on hand because you have a pile of reading to catch up on if this is the first you're hearing about it.

Verizon recently paid their own engineers to rewrite settop software MS had been contracted for; they weren't happy with the bloatware MS was late in providing:

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/81231
http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/78117
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060914-7742.html
Old 05-26-2007, 06:09 PM

Downrage, may I ask how your comment helped the OP in any shape for or fashion? May I also asked what you would suggest he do to solve his problem? And I don't think "buying a Mac" or "installing Linux" is the answer for a guy with a brand new Dell and a copy of Vista that he paid for.

Also your examples show me nothing.....what does Verizon not being happy with MS have to do with a home user wanting to use Windows to surf the net and play poker?

I know all about MS. I own a computer and tech support business and work on pc's every day. I'm by no means a fanboy of MS but at the same time they offer one heck of a product that is easy to use and it's basically the only "choice" 95% of Joe Average computer users have. Linux and Macs aren't currently good options for them. Windows fills that need for now.

I just don't have patience for people who come to a computer HELP forum and post nonsense with no intentions of helping.

Sorry for the rant. I'm sure you're a good guy and it was a just a joke but it really hit me wrong. Sorry for the squabble.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Probably easier to just go into add/remove programs and get rid of everything you don't want.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, definitely go with this. It's not like Dell is going to "hide" any of their stuff from you...as long as you know what to uninstall, you should be fine.