Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2007, 11:10 AM

Default \"opening up\" at uNL = drop in bb/100?

So far in my climb through the micros I've played a fairly consistant ABC tight-aggressive game with stats of 15/9/3. This style fit my personality, and I had great results with a win rate of >8PTBB/100 over 6+ months.

However, I've sort of looked at that as an unsustainable style that wouldn't work for me once I got out of the micros. I'd be too predictable and too exploitable by aware, thinking opponents.

So, keeping in mind I'm still only playing 25NL, for the last two months I've been exparamenting with a slightly more loose and slightly more aggressive style. Over the last two months I've run at 18/12/3. I'm still comfortable playing this style. However, my PTBB/100 has been cut in half.

It seems all I've done by "opening up my ranges" is I've added more varience to my results.

I can think of three reasons why I might have had the results I've had:

1) Everyone playing under 100NL is a chump, and 15/9/3 actually was a more optimum style.

2) My style change has done nothing because >8PTBB/100 was too high to be sustainable for any length of time, and all that has happened is my win rate has "corrected" to a more normal one.

3) The results of two months play is meaningless. Continue the exparament and we'll discuss it more in February.

Since I'm loking at grinding the micros for at least another year, is there a particular style I should be trying to emulate to max my earn? Should I be concerned with my recent drop in win rate?
Old 11-11-2007, 11:35 AM

Default Re: \"opening up\" at uNL = drop in bb/100?

[ QUOTE ]
3) The results of two months play is meaningless. Continue the exparament and we'll discuss it more in February.

[/ QUOTE ]

how many hands have you played in that 2 months?
Old 11-11-2007, 12:06 PM

Phy,

15/9/3 should be able to wreck 25NL and 50NL for that matter. If you find specific situations when you're playing (i.e. open limp/folders in MP when you have the button and you can raise ATC) then let the numbers take their natural course.

FWIW, many winning players at NL100 play close to a 15/9 game and do very, very well. I'd imagine it would even play pretty well at NL200. So bottom line...great job doing what you're doing. Just keep it up and do alot more of it. Just play your game until it no longer works, at which point you may have to make adjustments.

Opening up at a lower level just for the sake of thinking about higher level opponents exploiting you a year down the road doesn't seem optimal.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

how many hands have you played in that 2 months?

[/ QUOTE ]

Only about eight thousand. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Between work, school and wife I can only manage about an hour a night. If I try to play right after dinner, then she moans about my not helping with the house work. If I try to play after she's gone to bed, then the next day I'm dragging ass at work.

I wish I were young and single like so many of you guys. We didn't have internet poker when I was in my early 20s. I wasted my early 20s having lots of unprotected sex with strippers.

Oh well. Live and learn.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:22 PM

I play/played 18/12/3 at 25NL and beat it for 10 ptbb+ until very recently when I started playing 4 50NL tables and 2 25NL tables... I don't pay any attention to them anymore and thus had like 8 or 9 sessions lately where I was like 11/8... but when I'm actually looking, its 18/12/3. It gives you a lot more chances to valuebet, if you can do that well, it's more profitable.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However, I've sort of looked at that as an unsustainable style that wouldn't work for me once I got out of the micros. I'd be too predictable and too exploitable by aware, thinking opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you think that 15/10/3 won't make money > $100nl?
Old 11-11-2007, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you think that 15/10/3 won't make money > $100nl?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have 200k hands at 100+ at 17/13/4 and win at a pretty good clip
Old 11-11-2007, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Should I be concerned with my recent drop in win rate?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. If you are still planning on playing the micro levels, then when you change a style and it is not NEARLY as productive,,,,,,,, well, I don't think it's how the moon is aligned with the earth that is causing your drop in earnings.

The numbers you quote as being 25NL successful will be successful at 100NL and 200NL also. After you've got some time under your belt at those levels... that may be the time to start experimenting with your play.

Until then, rock back up and profit??

Another tip I'll give you that works well for me. Play an hour or so of 6Max every session. It allows me to get my Aggro Up [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] You naturally have to open up your playing range, but if you play REMOTELY tight (our "natural" strat) at 6Max micros, you can't help but profit.
Old 11-11-2007, 03:39 PM

If you're only playing an hour a night and 4k hands per month, why play so low? Considering your win rate and your stats, you are far beyond 25NL. Don't know what your bankroll is and whether you have been cashing out, but playing as low as 25NL might be your biggest leak.
Old 11-11-2007, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3) The results of two months play is meaningless.

[/ QUOTE ]

A change in your winrate over 8k hands is not very significant.

[ QUOTE ]
Continue the exparament and we'll discuss it more in February.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you like the new style, and feel like you're getting in more +EV situations, great. If you find yourself in lots of spots where you're not so sure you should have gotten in the first place, maybe you should ease back a bit.

Playing more hands doesn't make you a better player, but it can help you become a better player by putting you in more marginal spots. The more marginal spots you experience, presumably the better you'll become at playing them. Just make sure you're not adding hands that are -EV.