Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who pays for your education?
Parents 117 33.52%
Other relatives 10 2.87%
Student loans 52 14.90%
Financial aid 69 19.77%
You 87 24.93%
other 14 4.01%
Voters: 349. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-16-2007, 12:18 PM

Default Re: Barry Bonds indicted

One of these days, celebrities are going to start taking the 5th when the DOJ "invites" you to testify at the grand jury.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This isn't a race deal, its not a baseball deal, its a lying under oath deal to me (I know there are a lot of people that it isn't just a perjury deal to, keep reading). If you lied under oath you would get in a lot of trouble -- why should Bonds play under a different set of rules? Because he was one of the greatest ever at a game? I don't even care much about the steroids (if he used them).. baseballs rules were so dumb you can't go after him for that. People shouldn't lie in court, thats pretty much what it comes down to here. If I lied in court I would expect whatever punishment the courts seemed fit if I was found it. If Bonds lied in court he should do the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agree with you here, and 100% respect your opinion on it.....as it's in a much appreciated contrast to that segment of folks who just hate Bonds and are going to argue about anything to justify their hate.

If Bonds is convicted, he should most definately be punished just like you or me, or anyone, and baseball players shouldn't get any special treatment or attention.

I certainly think he has gotten special attention from the Govt in convening three GJ's to muster a last-second indictment....but that was all within the rule of law, and he shouldn't get special treatement to make up for it.

That said...just like you or I, he gets his fair trial, and if acquitted then it counts just the same. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree -- I will say this.

I support the indicment, I support the trial. If found guilty I will support the punishment and if found innocent I will support Barry's innocence. Either way this is supporting the judicial system.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It has become clearer in recent weeks that he fully believes that Barry has done steroids and cheated the game,

[/ QUOTE ]

So, aside from hating Bonds...you also read minds....

Sweet...

[/ QUOTE ]

Nor do I read minds. I did, however, read a few hundred posts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Feel free to link the post where I said I believe Bonds cheated the game. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Funny how that works....

[/ QUOTE ]

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

*kiss* [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 11-16-2007, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I support the indicment, I support the trial. If found guilty I will support the punishment and if found innocent I will support Barry's innocence. Either way this is supporting the judicial system.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here...unfortunately, that isn't how it works for the angry mob...they wait to throw support behind something only after it fits their preconceptions.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:40 PM

This is very reminiscent of the case against Bill Clinton. Remember, he wasn't being pursued for getting a BJ from a fat chick in the oval office, he was being pursued for lying about it while under investigation in the Whitewater matter. Were people out to get Bill Clinton? Of course, just like they're out to get Barry Bonds. Should any of this surprise anyone? No. Ultimately, the circumstances under which the charges are being brought will affect each person's perception of the charges, it's up to you to decide whether an actual crime committed during a witch hunt is the same or different than a crime committed while a witch hunt isn't taking place.

Barry imo only did what a TON of other professional athletes did, except he was the best to begin with so he was the best with the PED's as well. He sticks out like a sore thumb because of his accomplishments and his attitude, just like Slick Willy. Both pretty much lied to some peoples' faces (people who hated them to begin with) which caused the angry mob to light the torches.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:53 PM

I think the Clinton analogy is a little iffy.

Ignoring morals and whatever you think that should mean for the president, there's 100% nothing illegal about getting a hummer from a needy intern. That's a question that just has no business being asked in that situation.

Steriods in some fashion are illegal, and it's at least a question that warrents asking in this context.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:04 PM

Clinton was asked about sex during a civil proceeding, not a criminal proceeding. The question was appropriate for the context of the civil lawsuit.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:21 PM

Oh.

Yeah.

Grrr...
Old 11-16-2007, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I accept that. However, in the eyes of the law, all the authors have ever been charged with was contempt of court, making pretty much everything NT has been screaming and insulting me about pointless.

[/ QUOTE ]

i haven't been screaming anything, you're the one who's been typing in all caps. do you comprehend anything you read? red bean is saying that the reporters are guilty of several crimes, and that the only reason they haven't been prosecuted is because they're on the prosecution's side in public opinion.

but since they haven't been CHARGED, in your mind, they didn't commit a crime. right, and al capone was just a tax evader.

[ QUOTE ]
However, and I'm going to do this your way because I've been owning NT in this thread hard and now know how you probably feel in other Barry threads...

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. any time a poster feels the need to point out how hard he is owning people in every other post he makes, you can be pretty sure he is a blithering idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

NT,

All I ever said was, in the eyes of the LAW, the authors of Game of Shadows have not committed any crime. I didn't ever say they were completely innocent, but you can't sentence someone for a crime they haven't been convicted of. That's an important step you COMPLETELY ignored last night, no matter how blacked out drunk you may or may not have been.

I only posted how hard I was owning because I had the ability to get not one, but two people coming out of nowhere with baseless personal attacks. You'll notice that once I went through the steps of why THEY were wrong, they got quiet, and quick.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:34 PM

Anyone read Joe Sheehan's take on BP? Sounds like he talked to RB [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

http://baseballprospectus.com/articl...articleid=6935