Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2007, 11:03 PM

Default Selling an idea...

If I came up with a really great idea for a product, but had no way to manufacture or advertise it, how would one go about selling the idea for big bucks to a large corporation?
Old 01-21-2007, 11:25 PM

Default Re: Selling an idea...

The specific path is going to depend somewhat on the product, but as a general rule, your idea must be "patentable" and you should have at least "patent pending" status, before going thru any process of contacting manufacturers via an agent or broker... and in order to make a reasonable presentation, you will have to do some research and market analysis, etc.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:11 AM

Keep in mind that you cannot get a patent on "an idea". It must be something that "works" for the purpose it is intended for.

From: http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/sc_mrksv/c...ng/tell4-3.htm

[ QUOTE ]
You cannot patent an idea, but you can patent the concrete expression of an idea. For example, you cannot patent a scientific principle, an abstract theory, a way of doing business or a medical treatment.

On the other hand, if you have invented a new kind of spray bottle you could patent:
-the bottle itself (a product)
-a chemical in the plastic (chemical composition)·
-the spraying mechanism (an apparatus)
-how you extruded the plastic (a process)

[/ QUOTE ]

So, if OP has a great idea, but no way to manufacture it or advertise it, he is not likely to get any sort of compensation for disclosing his idea.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:46 AM

Frink, he stated in OP that his idea was a "Product" [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-22-2007, 05:02 AM

right, but he also said he can't manufacture it... if he can't create/manufacture his product, he won't be able to patent it as far as I can tell.

Seems doubtful that he'll be able to sell just his idea to any company. But, it'd be cool if he could.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
right, but he also said he can't manufacture it... if he can't create/manufacture his product, he won't be able to patent it as far as I can tell.

Seems doubtful that he'll be able to sell just his idea to any company. But, it'd be cool if he could.

[/ QUOTE ]

The product "can" be manufactured. What I meant was is that I have no idea how to go about doing this. I could draw out blueprints of it, but outside that im not sure where to go. The technology behind it has been out for several years....its basically just putting it into a different type of casing/packaging and marketing it for a completely different purpose.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:52 AM

There are a zillion companies like this on the web.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:46 PM

I am, in no way, qualified to make these statements, but here it my understanding:

"The product "can" be manufactured. What I meant was is that I have no idea how to go about doing this."

Here's problem #1. You can't go around patenting things without being able to, at least, design them. I can't patent a more fuel efficient car engine, and then wait for someone who actually knows how to build it to buy the patent from me.

"The technology behind it has been out for several years....its basically just putting it into a different type of casing/packaging and marketing it for a completely different purpose."

In cases like I think you're describing, the patent is for the technology, not how it's packaged/marketed. So, you're not likely to be able to take ownership of finding a new use for something. Silly example - I can't patent a hair-dryer as a "freezer defrosting device."
Old 01-22-2007, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Frink, a patent application is a document... not a physical product review [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

If he can patent the "product"... then he can take the design to a "manufacturer" and try to license/sell it to them... and which point, they will actually manufacture it, if they come to an agreement.

Of course, the process in dealing with a manufacturer may go smoother if you actually have a prototype... and as you would expect, there are companies that focus on this type of stuff. There's likely an Agent/Broker involved, etc.

Here's an example patent abstract...

Old 01-22-2007, 03:49 PM

I think there is quite a bit of confusion here. To OP - as I understand it, you are saying that you have a product, but you personally don't know how to manufacture it. This is unsurprising and understandable. I am no patent attorney, but I can tell you what I have come to understand from my engineering classes. If you can make drawings of the product and describe in general how it is made/how it works, then you can try to patent it. You do not have to actually have a prototype in order to patent a product. It just needs to be theoretically possible. In one of my classes, we are pursuing a patent like this; we have built a very basic prototype for our own testing purposes, but it is far from a working model. However, we have proved that the concepts will work, and are filing a provisional patent on the mechanism and primary use. Once the patent is filed, we will contact companies who wish to pursue manufacturing. As I understand it, this is common. Writing a patent is pretty tricky though, and you'd be best served by hiring a patent attorney to help you with the process, because there are a LOT of ways to get your patent accidently invalidated. If you are in school, then you may have an IP office that can help you with this sort of thing. Good luck.

~M^2