Tea (milk..) 7 16.28%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-20-2006, 01:46 PM

Default Re: Bears 2006 Season Thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Cedric Benson is a better running back than Thomas Jones

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you think so? From what I've seen of the Bears, TJ is the better runner.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cedric is a harder runner, he runs north/south a lot better than TJ. he hits the hole quicker, and is a more explosive runner. However, TJ is much better at all the additional duties a RB needs to do...like pass blocking, blitz pickup, catching a pass in the flats, etc. Basically, all the intangibles your RB needs to be able to do, Benson isn't there yet.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:49 PM

TJ is crushing Bensen in just about any statisitc you can use for running backs. DVOA, DPAR, success rate, yards per carry, etc.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:25 PM

PF,

Right, he's also gotten 161 more carries this year than Benson has. Jones is definitely the better all-around back, don't get me wrong, but as far as running the ball goes, Benson is the better back.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:44 PM

Sure TJ is the more complete back, he's been in the league longer. Learning blitz pickups and the passing game is harder than learning to run the football. A lot of young RBs struggle with that, and I'm sure Cedric will improve.

But that's not what I'm saying. From what I've seen (which admittedly is less than a Bears fan has seen) TJ has been the better runner. And all the stats agree with me: DVOA, YPC and Success Rate are all per-carry stats, and TJ is well ahead in all of them.

From what I've seen of Cedric, he basically plows into the line, gains two or three yards and doesn't accomplish much. TJ seems much more capable of gaining five, eight, ten+ yards on a carry. I'd like to see a stat on zero and negative run percentages, but I don't know where to look it up.

Any other Bears fans want to comment on this? I'm curious what ya'll think.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Right, he's also gotten 161 more carries this year than Benson has.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think this is a strong argument in favor of TJ. Change of pace backs have the advantage of being better rested when they get the ball and less banged up throughout the season.

TJ has looked a lot less impressive this year vs last, but I'd still much rather have him in the backfield than Cedrick.

Also Shajen, I noted two weeks ago that Grossman was so consistent throughout a game that you could predict the outcome based on his first two drives. But then he turned it all around in the Giants game. Looks like I was wrong.

Grossman's numbers weren't that bad given his number of attempts. There were too many dropped balls this week. By the way, why is Rashied Davis getting so many looks? Moose, Berrian and Bradley are all better WRs.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been impressed by the way the Bears responded to adversity last week and the renaissance on defense

home field is a lock now IMO

adding to your joy for the holiday season I am

[/ QUOTE ]

who are you and what did you do with MyTurn?
Old 11-20-2006, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm tired of hearing Urlacher is so overrated. Come on, the guy is a beast. I feel at this point resigning Briggs has got to be a #1 priority, as he is probably one of the best LBs in the league. I imagine Urlacher feels a lot less weight on his shoulders knowing Briggs is bringing it every play.

[/ QUOTE ]

its not gonna happen. He already turned down a 5m a year contract, and guys like Tommy Harris are going to be up in the next two years or so. Making sure that Tommie Harris stays a bear and making sure that Urlacher is always a bear is much more important. Briggs wants to test the market and it is probably a forgone conclusion that he won't be a bear after this year

[ QUOTE ]
Grossman's record as a starter is 13-4. He's been in the league for 4 seasons now, I feel like he will be a much more consistent passer who makes better decisions next year. Honestly, as I watch this team, I don't see them winning it all. I feel they are one of the top teams in the league, but I don't feel this year is the year. I really hope I am wrong, but we'll see.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, I don't see us winning it either. I think that our WR position needs to be upgraded still and its good that the draft is very deep at that position this season. We also need to get the O Line younger, and I still don't know if Des Clark can really be the guy at TE. What also needs to be addressed is a proper back up for Mike Brown so that if he gets injured, we won't have the problems stopping the run that we have had. I don't think that we lose much at pass defense when he isn't around, but its been noticeable how we have been against the run w/o him
Old 11-20-2006, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also Shajen, I noted two weeks ago that Grossman was so consistent throughout a game that you could predict the outcome based on his first two drives. But then he turned it all around in the Giants game. Looks like I was wrong.

Grossman's numbers weren't that bad given his number of attempts. There were too many dropped balls this week. By the way, why is Rashied Davis getting so many looks? Moose, Berrian and Bradley are all better WRs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, what can I say? I'm about as consistent as he is. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Also, I think defenses are putting their best corners on Berrian and Muhammad, and that's why Davies is getting these looks lately.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:40 PM

It will be interesting to see if the Bears slap the franchise tag on Briggs. They offered him that much anyway. The big stumbling block there was Rosendick wanting more money than Urlacher.

Davis has been good all year. Bradley has really just become healthy in these past few weeks. He looks as good as he did before he got hurt last year. If he can stay healthy, which so far has been a big if, he will be really good. It was a good sign to see Berrian take some hits and pop up.

As for not feeling the championship I never would feel confident about that. However, they are head and shoulders above the NFC and will have HFA. It is going to be really hard for the Giants, Seahawks or Cowboys to come into Chicago. The Panthers have done it before, but I would hope the Bears coaching staff defends Steve Smith differently. Right now I think they are the NFC's best chance to win the Superbowl by far. But that is still two months away. Just look at how many things have changed in the NFL over the last two months.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:43 PM

Sluss:

I am trying the ole "They'll won't win the SB this year" reverse-psychology spiel on myself. Let's hope it works.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

GO BEARS!!!