Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2007, 10:06 PM

Default too much action???

man i felt like i was taking crazy pills tonight....i was getting played back at more than usual, people were tilting, and it was 6-max so it made the LAGtards more aggro.....i cut my loses at 2.7k~standard~ (think i miteve lost some in limit but think i broke even) (pl8 was 5-10).....when i logged in do you think i shouldve just left the tables when i saw they were too crazy? When people are ramming and jamming pots skill becomes less of a factor esp in pl8.....(and i managed to get my chips in ahead in the big ones everytime)~so there i was just wondering if i didnt particullary feel entirely comfortable with the action should i leave??? does this sound right? dont get me wrong i am not scared money but i have to ask you guys the question is there such a thing as too much action???
Old 09-27-2007, 10:37 PM

Default Re: too much action???

Some people hate playing with crazy players and some people love it. When your comfort level is at a point where you can't stand it, then leave.

You made the right choice. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-27-2007, 11:21 PM

yea it sounds weird but i agree up to a point...my comfort level is not about the limit i'm prlly one of few that is rolled for that game, its just that when i know that a game isnt going to be +EV, because i know that there might be too much action. for example flipping with idiot on fulltilt is not +EV therefore i stopped doing it....
Old 09-28-2007, 12:09 AM

No such thing as too much action. Craziest games are the most profitable.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There many cases where additional players in the pot can reduce EV significantly. Some guy got a theorum named after himself about it. I can't remember the name though and I'm not going to bother thinking up examples :P
Old 09-28-2007, 05:13 AM

It's Morton's paradox and theorem. But really it only shows you have to use pot equity, and effective odds in your decisions not pot odds.

The apparent paradox is that the 'best hand' doesn't benefit from someone calling at slightly worse than pot odds. Of course, that's because the good draws like multi-way action and 'rake' each bet, drawing to a hand that beats all the callers when made.

If the OP is "getting it in with the best of it" it's +ve EV, but the fluctuations are great.

The answer is to play fewer hands, but ones with bigger edges, as the other players are putting in too much money in relation to the blinds on losing propositions.

Flipping, is -ve EV simply because you both are dealt random hands and shove in, meaning the house wins, no skill.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
.....i cut my loses at 2.7k~standard~ (think i miteve lost some in limit but think i broke even) (pl8 was 5-10).....

[/ QUOTE ]

you did better than me at those 6max tables.

yeah, the game was pretty aggro and money was flowing around like water... unfortunately not in my direction.

i think it's a bad idea to start so many 6max tables. and obviously writing support to request them was originally my idea. 9max tables are less likely to break as fast if 1 or 2 people sit out, and they are also less of a gambool fest.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yea it sounds weird but i agree up to a point...my comfort level is not about the limit i'm prlly one of few that is rolled for that game, its just that when i know that a game isnt going to be +EV, because i know that there might be too much action. for example flipping with idiot on fulltilt is not +EV therefore i stopped doing it....

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are wrong on this, his pushing range definitely makes it +EV, you just need to be prepared for some rather large swings.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-28-2007, 05:27 PM

d-grief i have done this, have you, i have figured for my play i dont have to flip with idiot my whole point was that +EV wasnt gambling, even if he is pushing with any 4 cards the edge isnt as great as when i would play say 2-4 pl on stars.....therefore flipping with him is NOT +EV....i dont think you understand this concept bc your response was very ignorant

-jaja