Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2007, 07:14 PM

Default You block/I bluff

Villain is 25/12/1.39/93 hands. I didn't raise preflop because last time I tried isolating him he limp reraised and I folded and I don't want the same to happen here.

My thoughts: On the flop, this is an obvious raise. On the turn I'm betting so if I hit I can get his stack. Once he calls the turn I'm sure he has a one pair hand and I've repped a very strong hand so I'm not sure if I'm bluffing the river or not. On the river he blocks and I nearly instantly push. Figured I had to act quick if I wanted my push to be credible. Is my thought process good?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

BB ($49.75)
UTG ($48.70)
MP ($96.80)
Hero ($66.70)
SB ($110.70)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB checks.

Flop: ($1.75) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $1</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, BB folds, UTG calls $3.

Turn: ($9.75) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $7.5</font>, UTG calls $7.50.

River: ($24.75) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $9</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $54.7</font>
Old 07-04-2007, 08:51 PM

Default Re: You block/I bluff

I like this play sometimes, but only when you have a decent read on the villain. Given the villain's stats and play, the most logical hands I think he would have would be QJ and JT. With those stats I think he would raise AJ and probably KJ (though he might limp). If he had a set, I think most players would either check-raise the turn or 3-bet the flop rather than making this odd bet on the river. He might also limp 65s although that chance is decreased since you have a 5. A lot of players tend to fold top pair hands on the river to large bets, or check behind, so maybe he is just value betting JT. If so, it's an odd size. I don't think the bluff is bad. I think it works most of the time, so I think it's probably profitable, but I think it's close.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:43 PM

Looks like a classic case of FPS. Fold preflop, check behind on turn, fold river.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:50 PM

I read your thoughts, but if you were going to play this hand, I still would have raised PF. You've the button. If he repoped you again you so what, just try again the next orbit.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I read your thoughts, but if you were going to play this hand, I still would have raised PF. You've the button. If he repoped you again you so what, just try again the next orbit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Playing a hand like this is a lot better when you're open-raising than when there's a limper in front - the latter scenario greatly reduces your fold equity, which is where most of the value of raising with garbage in position comes from.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:07 PM

I typically raise PF, decent hand to isolate. Yeah he lrr but thats just a small sample (1 hand). Overlimping isn't awful though.

Flop nice. Std raise. You raise to either knock better draws out and better hands for that matter, perhaps take it down, build a pot in position, etc.

turn is fine. though against this opponent i might consider checking. he's never folding a J. it DOES build the pot to where we can shove or whatever if we do improve on the river. but with little FE, meh. i think checking and betting are both fine for the most part.

anyways, river, meh. i dont really like it given the size of stack sizes/pot size. he's getting pretty decent odds and i doubt he folds a J. generally players who limp reraise aren't as strong players (in my experience) so i would stray away from making these type of moves vs. them.

so, in summarization, pf whatever, flop good, turn whatever, river not so great.