Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: To me and myself poker is (or I hope it will be) especially
a sport 5 1.52%
a hobby 68 20.73%
a game 82 25.00%
a way of making money 136 41.46%
a way of fighting 3 0.91%
something to do in my life 17 5.18%
important food for my brain 9 2.74%
something else than above 5 1.52%
I really don't know 3 0.91%
Voters: 328. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-06-2007, 06:17 PM

Default Re: jaime gold = spew

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, let's stop arguing about showdown rules and get back to Gold's play. Time for a poll:

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno, he has acknowledged over and over again that he considers himself a bad cash game player. As long as he knows his own skill level, I don't see why busto should automatically follow.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's funny that Jaime outwardly admits that he's not a great player, yet defensively justifies his play a la last night in the conversation w/ Matusow as well in his The Circuit interview recently.

To me, it's standard delusion. He inflates himself to be a good player internally, but knows it's taboo to be cocky so he covers up his huge ego with self defeating comments he doesn't really believe are true. . . to which the outcome is a muddled and confused demeanor in the presence of people who see through his bull, eg. the awkward sigh-look-at-chips-bluff-at-river move he tried to pull on D.N. last night. He can get away with his erratic-for-the-sake-of-being-chaotic-to-confuse thinking against people that don't see through it but gets owned by people who have their own minds in order enough to see what he's doing. suckahhh.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, she's amazing... they had her just sitting back on a couch this episode with her legs crossed, could see a lot of leg... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I found it funny that she now features in the opening credits!
Old 02-06-2007, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think it's funny that Jaime outwardly admits that he's not a great player, yet defensively justifies his play a la last night in the conversation w/ Matusow as well in his The Circuit interview recently.

[/ QUOTE ]

(1) Isn't this true of everybody? I'm not sure if I've ever played with anybody I thought had an edge on me, but intellectually I know it must be true. Why has nobody quoted him on saying Allen Cunningham is 10x better than him on a normal day (but not on that day)?

(2) I'm not sure why misjudging your ability to bet clay disks on the patterns of 52 pieces of paper is such a loathsome trait.

(3) He thinks that part of the game is instinctively throwing off these false tells, and probably he thinks that he can't play against the pros without this component of his game, scrapping it would just expose his larger tells. He happens to be misguided in his implementation.

(4) All the talk is crap, the test is whether you can walk away from the table. Are there stories of Jamie Gold donking off his roll?
Old 02-06-2007, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, she's amazing... they had her just sitting back on a couch this episode with her legs crossed, could see a lot of leg... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Name please???
Old 02-06-2007, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Next season she'll be in the booth. Then comes the "never trust anyone" post...
Old 02-06-2007, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

(1) Isn't this true of everybody?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Since one data point is enough to disprove "everybody":

I have sat down at games where I was quite sure I was not the best player. I have stood up from games where I felt I didn't have an edge. I have never made any claims one way or the other at the table about who was better or worse than me. I have very rarely tried to justify my play, although one incident comes to mind where I finally got ticked enough at a table coach to speak up.

[ QUOTE ]

Why has nobody quoted him on saying Allen Cunningham is 10x better than him on a normal day (but not on that day)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because that statement was just as idiotic as the rest, so why even bring it up?

[ QUOTE ]

(2) I'm not sure why misjudging your ability to bet clay disks on the patterns of 52 pieces of paper is such a loathsome trait.

[/ QUOTE ]

The setting doesn't matter. The personality matters. An incident from long ago comes to mind where Tom Chambers, a mediocre NBA player, somehow made the all-star team, then somehow won the MVP award for that game, then made an apparently completely sincere statement about how he was the best player in the NBA. Everyone puked, of course.

Plus, well, we all play poker around here, so I don't see your point anyway. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

(3) He thinks that part of the game is instinctively throwing off these false tells, and probably he thinks that he can't play against the pros without this component of his game, scrapping it would just expose his larger tells. He happens to be misguided in his implementation.

[/ QUOTE ]

So he's wrong about how to play winning poker, and he's also wrong in his implementation. I have to agree with you here.

[ QUOTE ]

(4) All the talk is crap, the test is whether you can walk away from the table. Are there stories of Jamie Gold donking off his roll?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, we are apparently off to a good start for just such a story. How it ends remains to be seen.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I really don't get the hate for this guy. I understand that he comes off as a bit smug and arrogant, but so do a lot of players. He was very complimentary of Doyle, and it seemed to me like everyone enjoyed interacting with him at the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

There seems to be no genuineness behind his compliments. He also was sorta trashing Cunningham who is ten times the player he is. Combine that with the smug luckbox factor and the constant need of affirmation for his play from other players is why I hate the guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not 100% certain but I think the Cunningham situation basically went like this:

Someone commented that AC deserved to win and had played perfectly. Gold responded by FIRST MAKING IT VERY CLEAR THAT HE THINKS AC IS A GREAT PLAYER, but then saying that he did indeed make a few mistakes.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:05 PM

HSP seems to have humbled Gold. All I heard during the ESPN ME was how he kept saying he was the greatest player ever and now watching HSP clips on you tube he keeps saying he is not that great and needs to get better. I think he is entering every pot thinking he can hit the nuts everytime like he did in the ME but you only get that lucky one in a lifetime.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Gold was trying to hide his cards and not give any information on what he was playing. The player that was last to initiate the action is obligated to show his hand first. Cheap amature trick that the classy pros were letting him get away with.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't play live, but surely they didn't want to discourage him from his retarded bluffs.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:27 AM

Thank goodness some people started to back me up with the whole JG mucking deal... That was painful.

I went into watching HSP this season trying to view Jamie's play objectively, and forget the fact that he's a douche. So far I have learned 2 things:

1: Jamie Gold, as suspected, comes off as a douche.
2: Jamie Gold, as suspected, is indeed AWFUL at poker.

Those who say "small sample size blah blah blah, we can't actually know how good/bad he is based on HSP" are wrong. He simply made a MULTITUDE of horrible plays; so bad that it is almost impossible that he could be a winning player versus any competent players. I wouldn't be surprised if he was a loser at 100nl online. I have a feeling that he will never improve because of his ego, but he won't go busto because he probably doesn't play high with enough regularity to lose his 6/12 million.

He will quickly fade out of poker world fame because he will not succeed, and his nature is very unlikable.