Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2007, 03:30 PM

Default Re: Deep home game play - flopped low end straight

yes there certainly are, but i think it's not terrible to limp along on the button.
you have to play carefully postflop tho
Old 11-25-2007, 04:43 PM

Actually, the more I think about it, do we really want to shove the turn? On the flop, yeah, the straight has a lot of equity against hands like A6, K6, 2 pair, set, flush draws etc but after Villain calls the $20 shouldn't we logically narrow his range to 2 pair or better?? Or do we still expect flush chasers to be in the hand?
Old 11-25-2007, 04:49 PM

Okay I will attempt this one more time. Any hand that contains an ace is considered a high card hand. High card hands get their strength by hitting a strong pair. A suited connector is an example of a drawing hand. (Both are technically drawing hands, but lets make this argument simple) A drawing hand gets its strength from hitting a deceiving two pair and flopping good draws (oesd and fd). A2 is a high card hand so it doesnt gain the benefits of a standard drawing hand but it also sucks as a high card hand. Theres no playing carefully post flop with a terrible hand, its stupid to say youre waiting for two pair or better. Your stacks arent THAT deep and you dont have the implied odds you think you do. Even if they are loose, they are capable of missing flops. And op, yes, you have to shove here. He could have a boat, he could also have trips, a pair and a draw, or a lone fd as you saw. If youre sitting on scared money, which it sounds like you are, then stop playing. Scared money = losing money.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Okay I will attempt this one more time. Any hand that contains an ace is considered a high card hand. High card hands get their strength by hitting a strong pair. A suited connector is an example of a drawing hand. (Both are technically drawing hands, but lets make this argument simple) A drawing hand gets its strength from hitting a deceiving two pair and flopping good draws (oesd and fd). A2 is a high card hand so it doesnt gain the benefits of a standard drawing hand but it also sucks as a high card hand. Theres no playing carefully post flop with a terrible hand, its stupid to say youre waiting for two pair or better. Your stacks arent THAT deep and you dont have the implied odds you think you do. Even if they are loose, they are capable of missing flops. And op, yes, you have to shove here. He could have a boat, he could also have trips, a pair and a draw, or a lone fd as you saw. If youre sitting on scared money, which it sounds like you are, then stop playing. Scared money = losing money.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK - I don't think anyone is saying A2 is the nuts here PF. It just is what it is, a (questionable) 1BB button call.

And regarding not pulling the trigger on the shove, I already admitted to playing timid (not scared, just timid) money - and that is what it is, too. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-25-2007, 05:34 PM

You absolutely must raise the turn. Seems like you're seeing monsters under the bed. I feel like in the loose game you're playing, 2pr or a set raises this flop. Don't know why no one has mentioned it yet, but you must call the river getting better than 4:1.

FWIW I fold A2o preflop, too.
[ QUOTE ]

It just is what it is, a (questionable) 1BB button call.

[/ QUOTE ]
No, that's not just what it is. The whole problem with playing A2o is what happens on the flop. Unless you are really disciplined, flopping TPNK is difficult to play. Say flop comes A 4 8, and it's checked around. Turn is a 3, and it's checked to you. You still gonna c/f? Would you now call a bet from someone who might be trying to steal?
Old 11-25-2007, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You absolutely must raise the turn. Seems like you're seeing monsters under the bed. I feel like in the loose game you're playing, 2pr or a set raises this flop. Don't know why no one has mentioned it yet, but you must call the river getting better than 4:1.

FWIW I fold A2o preflop, too.
[ QUOTE ]

It just is what it is, a (questionable) 1BB button call.

[/ QUOTE ]
No, that's not just what it is. The whole problem with playing A2o is what happens on the flop. Unless you are really disciplined, flopping TPNK is difficult to play. Say flop comes A 4 8, and it's checked around. Turn is a 3, and it's checked to you. You still gonna c/f? Would you now call a bet from someone who might be trying to steal?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the response! And yeah, the river fold was pretty bad. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Regarding the TPNK, yeah actually, I would check/fold unless I was confident it was an weak steal that wasn't going to put in any heat on the river.