Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2007, 01:56 PM

Default Deep home game play - flopped low end straight

Howdy y'all, making my virginal post on your fine forum. I played a pretty wild hand the other night and I'd like to get some feedback on it, if you would. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Situation: Home game that I've never played at before, .25/.50 blinds, 5 handed, deep stacks (~200BB average), crazy loose game so far.

I'm on button w/ A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and $100, everyone limps to me, I call.

Flop: 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], $2.50. SB checks, BB checks, UTG bets $2, UTG+1 (Villain) raises to $6, I bang it to $20 expecting to end the hand right there. Actions folds back around to Villain who pretty quickly calls.

Turn: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], $44.50. Villain bets $10 and I hate him for it. His body language and mannerism are confident but it strangely doesn't really feel like a value bet. I grudgingly call.

River: Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], $64.50. Villain bets $20. I agonize and finally fold. VILLAIN SHOWS 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] FOR A RIVERED FLUSH and comments that there was no way he was folding with a straight flush draw on the flop... [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

My thoughts: I felt like I had the best hand on the flop and had I been playing short (say, 50BB), I would have just shoved. People in this game were playing just about any draw for any price and I really felt like I needed to just shut down the action. Once villain called my large raise, I was pretty much putting him on 67 for the upper end of the straight... On the turn, his bet was just too small for me to fold but I was fearful of sticking in another fat raise if he did have the nut straight - 67 was ABSOLUTELY in his range of hands here... The fold on the river was probably a mistake with the 4-1 odds offered to my call, but I just couldn't shake the feeling that I was beat here...

At this point I'll open it up to the floor for commentary. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] (And incidentally, how bad was Villain's flush draw play here - I could have EASILY had a way better flush draw and his straight draw wasn't even all that strong...)
Old 11-25-2007, 02:35 PM

Default Re: Deep home game play - flopped low end straight

Shove the turn, don't include results next time.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:37 PM

Fold or raise pf, lean towards fold. As played on the turn, Im popping it to 45 or so and calling a shove.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold or raise pf, lean towards fold. As played on the turn, Im popping it to 45 or so and calling a shove.

[/ QUOTE ]

preflop is fine, we are 200BB deep and it's unlikely that we thin the field by raising

flop is fine
and i think we have to push the turn, he could have a set (now FH), but there are a lot of different possibilities
Old 11-25-2007, 02:48 PM

Pf is not fine. We have a hand that plays terribly multiway and it doesnt even play that well HU. But it plays alot better HU than it does into a crowd. Saying we are deep is just an excuse to give away some chips. If you want to use that logic then play some offsuit connectors before you want to limp A2o. That is why I said raise or fold, but leaning towards fold heavily.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:53 PM

i tread A2 as an OSC in this case

i would fold it preflop, too, but it's not terrible to limp with it.
i only continue if i hit trips, 2pair or a straight.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:06 PM

I know what youre getting at but I think its incorrect. If youre going to use that logic with A2 then you can use that logic with ATC that can make a straight. In fact, alot of those ATC combos are better than A2 if youre thinking about straights because A2 gets blocked from making many straights.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:19 PM

Thanks for the replies so far! Raising preflop would have only led to a starting pot 5 times bigger - it was one of those games. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Folding preflop was definitely an option but I was taking Spurious' line of 2 pair or better - I wasn't about to nut myself if I hit top pair.

I really wanted to pop it hard on the turn like everyone is suggesting but I just couldn't shake the feeling I was way behind (especially now that the board paired). Are we shoving to make Villain think I just hit the FH or are we just committed and want to make damn sure he pays to draw out?? Regardless, I definitely choked here - I was still emotionally attached to my stack (I'd bought in short to begin with). [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 11-25-2007, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know what youre getting at but I think its incorrect. If youre going to use that logic with A2 then you can use that logic with ATC that can make a straight. In fact, alot of those ATC combos are better than A2 if youre thinking about straights because A2 gets blocked from making many straights.

[/ QUOTE ]

i probably limp here with ATC that make a straight

the game was loose and there were a ton of limpers
Old 11-25-2007, 03:27 PM

The point is if youre going to do that, there are better hands than A2 to do it with.