Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2006, 12:35 PM

Default $16turbo: Top two pair with 1 limper

PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t200 with t25 antes (6 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t795)
UTG+1 (t1970)
CO (t1315)
Button (t4570)
SB (t1350)
Hero (t3500)

Preflop: Hero is in BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, Button calls t200, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, Hero checks

Flop: (t650) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)
<font color="red">Hero bets t400</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds[/color

How do I get max value out of this hand? Do you think the best thing to do is check and let him bet? Most limpers will bet if you check it to them? Maybe bet 200 so he can reraise me? Now that I think of it checking could be really dangerous with 2 possible draws out there.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:40 PM

Default Re: $16turbo: Top two pair with 1 limper

I would rather check/raise flop or lead the turn against a single villain. If there were more limpers I would like the lead.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:42 PM

I lead out like you did and make that diamond flush pay to see a turn.

A check behind and a diamond on the turn could be really bad for you.

P.S. Check over your shoulder and make sure you are not about to be shot in the back.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

P.S. Check over your shoulder and make sure you are not about to be shot in the back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it worth it to check raise in this situation? Most of the time he's not on a flush draw? Basically is it worth the risk to check to try to get more chips? How can you find out if it's worth it?
Old 07-22-2006, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What is everyone's obsession with "charging draws"?! You're against one opponent who limped in PF. Why does he have to have diamonds? And if he does, at this stage in the tournament, almost EVERYONE bets their flushdraws. I would go for a big checkraise so IF CALLED, i can get the rest in on the turn. IME, most limpers will bet here if checked too.

In HU pots you should be more worried about maximizing the value of your hand than charging draws that probably arent out there.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:55 PM

I lead out here for the same amount and he hope he has an Ace or wants to make a play.
Old 07-22-2006, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What is everyone's obsession with "charging draws"?! You're against one opponent who limped in PF. Why does he have to have diamonds?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sigh. Tsk, tsk, tsk. You don't know the first thing about variance, do you? If OP is running bad, then it's OBVIOUS Villain has diamonds. Fundemental Theorem of Poker, sir; if there is only one hand to which you don't want to give a free card out of a multitude which you beat, your opponent always has that one hand.

&lt;/sarcasm&gt;

seriously though I go for a check/raise. villain bets his flushdraw if he has one most likely. if he has an ace he's getting it in no matter what. at this point, we want to get that extra bet out of the stronger kings out there and the mid PPs. C/R flop, if called lead turn strong and try to get it in.
Old 07-22-2006, 01:03 PM

i think it is safe to assume villian is not holding an Ace here, and i dont like leading w/ Aces up if i dont think someone else is holding one or if they are TAG in general. i also think when someone is limping on the button, their plan B is to position raise if they dont hit anything. i would give them that opportunity to raise you here, b/c they might do it w/ w/out the flush draw. If it gets checked behind im leading w/ 700 on any turn card.

this is just one of those situations that you arent going to make much unless you are facing a LAG or real donk.
Old 07-22-2006, 04:00 PM

Any thoughts about raising pre-flop?
Old 07-22-2006, 04:12 PM

I like preflop allin here.