Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > High Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2007, 12:43 PM

Default Best line needed

50-100 HOE game Villain is smart and plays well, but is mostly passive ABC. So to me he's basically a good nit. I'd say his image of me is decent/solid but willing to make some plays.

8 handed Villain raises from EP, folded to awful tilting SB who calls, I 3 bet KK from the BB, villain caps, we call.

A few rounds earlier villain called 3 cold from the CO with AKo rather than cap it. So even though I'd say his capping range here is AA-KK-QQ, looking at him my spidey senses say it's AA. C/F the flop is extreme and not an option. So I'm looking for confirmation of it so I can fold when I miss the flop.

Flop 872r Ch'd to villain who bets, me and SB call.

Turn 9x no fl dr. SB ch's, I donk, villain raises, SB calls, I fold and would've even if SB hadn't called.

My read was on and fold good. I was admittedly kind of lost though on what is the best line to take there looking for strength from villain so I can exit.

C/R the flop, in which case he might call and raise the turn? Donk the flop and hope he tries to raise the SB out?

***Important point is that I think if I donk the flop, he'd more likely call it and raise the turn with AA. Maybe not with the SB in here, but H/U definitely.

Comments appreciated.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:49 PM

Default WOW. LOL

53 views and not even a snarky reply for this long time, sometimes out of control contributor. 2+2 has helped me go from 2-4 to 50-100. Many thx. GL to all.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:12 PM

Default Re: WOW. LOL

if you're putting him on {QQ-AA} heavily weighted towards AA I don't see the point in betting the turn. I mean he's going to keep betting QQ right? why not just turn passive and call down?
Old 08-31-2007, 05:17 PM

Default Re: Best line needed

I think you played it fine, losing the least while confirming his hand.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:31 PM

I don't get this at all.

I think trying to 'hand read' so specifically like this in limit hold-em is a recipe for disaster. If you really think he does in fact have AA, check call the turn and river. Simple. Effective. Don't outplay yourself, it's sickening.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:38 PM

Default Re: WOW. LOL

Mid-day, week day, Holiday weekend, not the best time for replies. Patience and deal the cards.

As for the hand, this is limit hold'em. Wouldn't he play pocket kings the same way? Never queens? I guess I don't have as good a spidey sense as you. Check-call all the way and get to see what he actually has. Cheap and efficient, plus you get to see what the 3rd guy does before you act.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't get this at all.

I think trying to 'hand read' so specifically like this in limit hold-em is a recipe for disaster. If you really think he does in fact have AA, check call the turn and river. Simple. Effective. Don't outplay yourself, it's sickening.

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally the best advice, but occasionally I get the spidey sense too, and sometimes its o.k. to trust your read.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:55 PM

I don't see how check-call, check-call, check-call is not the best line by a mile?
Old 09-01-2007, 12:59 AM

I think check/calling the hand down is a viable line here. Notice that if a 4 straight comes it may only cost you 1 more bet (if he checks the river), and for 1 more bet it's definitely worth going to showdown. I suppose you could lead the flop, or c/r the flop too. This might give convince you further that he has AA, but it also creates the potential for a worse fold.

Either way, I don't like folding here. Get to the river. If you really think there's a good chance he's got AA, then get there as cheaply as possible, but get there.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:33 AM

As played villain will raise your turn donk with a very wide range given the tilty/retarded guy behind him and the 987 on the board. Get it to showdown. If you feel very strongly he has AA then C/C C/C C/C is fine, but if you think there's a decent chance you're ahead, make sure tilty guy has to put in some bets to get the river.