Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2007, 10:25 PM

Default \"Earn $30,000 Per Month Playing Online Poker\" by Ryan Wiseman

I just saw this title today on Amazon. Has anyone read or heard of it? Looks like it is geared completely towards SNG's but I have not heard of the author.
Here is a link:
Earn $30,000 per month playing Online Poker

I think I'll order it and give a review.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:37 PM

Default Re: \"Earn $30,000 Per Month Playing Online Poker\" by Ryan Wiseman

Sounds silly.
What if my goal is to earn 40k a month?
Not a good book for me then...shoot...was thinking about ordering it...oh well....next.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:02 PM

Title fails to mention that you have to start out with money, so it probably isn't much use to me.

I'd appreciate the review though.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:31 AM

I had it on pre-order and got my copy today!

I read a lot of the remarks here on 2+2 about how awful this book is sure to be and how a book with such a title alone is sure to be a bomb. If you thought this book was going to be a dud you were RIGHT!! I did see it was published by ECW Press which published Angel Largay's book which I really enjoyed so I felt this book may have a chance of having some decent information. I had some hope for this book but overall it is a letdown. The information in this book could easily be summed up in a matter of paragraphs!

Amazon.com and the publisher show this book to have 240 pages which is incorrect. I opened up the box and I thought they forgot the book!!! The book has only 120 pages... Okay great I have a short attention span and if I can read this book while sitting on the toilet all the better right?!?! Well really this book is perfect for a trip to the toilet however more so for when you run out of toilet paper and not for it's short 120 page length.

The first clue this book is a dud is chapter 1 which basicly tells you how to get online and set up a poker account on Party Poker. Then it details a lot of the SNG helper tools,multi tabling helpers, PokerTracker, PAHUD and outlines them and offers you links to them, well that was a waste of 20 pages as far as I am concerned let me get to some strategy please..

The book suggests typical SNG strategy of staying tight and then attacking during the bubble or at the appropriate blind levels. It uses the Party Poker SNG structure as the basis for small strategic input which is layed out in more or less bullet points. You start at the 10 dollar buy in with a 500 dollar bankroll and using the books tips you are supposed to be a winning player and move up as you get the required bankroll for the next level....which for example the 20 dollar sng's is 1500-1700 dollars and so on.. So it is give or take around 40-50 buy ins.

So for the 10-55 dollar SNG's you will use the same strategy which for example suggests you limp AK because nobody will fold at the lower levels so just limp it. Also if you catch top pair and top kicker you are to go all in if someone bets into you otherwise bet out 75 percent of the pot. It doesnt really say what you do if you bet and are called... TOTALLY leaves you hanging. I have a huge problem with a book that is written for supposedly beginners yet fails to follow through with proper advice. It basicly is a giveaway that the book is just mostly filler and the author was too lazy to actually get down into the strategic substance that is needed.

Each new buy in level the book tends to kinda offer you a new play almost implying that this is a play that works at this level. I think at the 100 and up buy ins he says everybody is playing standard sng strategy so go ahead and take advantage of this but still overall play pretty tight. The stop n go and the shove with multiple limpers he details at the later buy in levels.

The book makes a lot of references to 2+2 which leads me to believe he probably submitted the manuscript to 2+2 and was rejected. He has his own little website he mentions in the book where he wants his readers to download poker sites from which he says is so he can monitor their success.. ahem if monitoring success means measuring your referral paychecks sure. His website is www.sitngoprofessional.com it seems at this point contacting him is the only thing you can do from there.

All in all this book was a huge letdown however I will say it is only 13 bucks so if you have a poker book addiction it will decorate the coffee table well. Otherwise I would say someone is WAY better off with Moshman's book which has the same bankroll guidelines and the strategy that I feel was COMPLETELY missing from this book.

Book Gets a D+ Sorry Ryan Wiseman better luck next time...

If someone wants some more of it clarified I will be more than happy to run and grab the book so I can be as clear as possible. I can REALLY lay the strategy out clearly it is THAT thin on substance.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:08 AM

Rockasilly,

Thanks for the review, I think you've just saved me 13 bucks. What is the quality of the late game advice? Does he mention ICM or stack dependent play on the bubble for example?

Also, in an earlier thread about this book someone said it was similar to "Kill Phil" with push/fold charts and the like? Is this true?

Cheers
Old 10-19-2007, 05:47 AM

obv its terrible book if it has this title, kind of a scma porb.

inone way i think hes a scum but then people that are dumb enough to buy this prob deserved to be ripped off.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:06 AM

With a title like that even if it had any good content it would still be a dud, it comes off as huckster bs.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:45 AM

Thanks for the review.
I was just about to order it but I will pass now. That is too bad - I was actually looking forward to it.
I wonder if Ryan really does earn $30K/month - do you have his handle on Pokerstars?
Old 10-19-2007, 12:52 PM

I'm not sure what is your level of expertise.

But I consider myself a beginner+.

With that said, Is it worth for me to read this book ?

Just to define what I meant by beginner+, I have read SNG Strategy by Collin Moshman. I was able to understand some of the concepts but the advanced ones are way over my head. I need to play a few thousand more hands and re-read this book a couple of more times before I can understand the advanced concepts that Moshman has detailed. But there were a few hand analysis in this book that I was able to answer correctly w/o looking at the answers ahead.

Did you have a chance to read Moshman's book ?

Am I in a point right now that I won't benefit reading Wiseman's book ? Because maybe it's too basic ?

Regards.....
Old 10-19-2007, 03:31 PM

"Every SNG book stands and falls on it's ICM chapter."

I remember this quote from the Moshman review thread. No ICM chapter = garbage book.